Used psr 600

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordman2006

I just bought a used gre psr 600, it's programmed for the Nova Scotia Tmr system and a lot of air and fire departments but not from my region. How do I delete the frequencies I don't want and add the new ones I want? Do I need a certain software to hook up to my windows computer? I want to keep the Tmr systemtthat's programed in it, just delete the stuff I don't listen to and add around 30 vhf frequencies and eventually the new Tmr 2 system. Thanks for the help!

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
You can reprogram by hand but it will take some time & trial and error. There are 3 sets of software out there to program your scanner...arc500, win500 & psredit. All are paid software but I believe all offer free trials. And you will need the programming cable. If you check the wiki page here at RR for the 600 you should find the "easier to read" manual for the 600 linked there that may help you program by hand. I'm on my phone or I would link that page.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To follow up on Dave's good advice - we have a wiki article that has links to just about everything you need to get started (note that both here and the wiki, all links are always blue)

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

There are links here for the Easier to Read manuals, and the user guides for both ARC500 and Win500.We have a dedicated page for the software; sadly with the exception of IDTracker (which really isn't meant for programming, although it can be used to gather information for programming) none of them are free, but as Dave mentions, they all have a free trial.

Since the PSR600 should have come with its own USB cable, I'd start by getting the communication going between the scanner and your PC. It doesn't matter if it doesn't hear anything yet - right now all you want to do is to get the comms going. Then head over to our Maritime/Atlantic forum and ask for a file - just be sure to specify which package you are using, as formats aren't interchangeable.

Atlantic and Maritime - The RadioReference.com Forums

We also have an article there on manual programming...

HTH...Mike

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
Just logged in to my laptop to post those links & saw Mike had already done it. Thanks. I used to have a RS Pro 197 (same thing as the 600) and both handheld brothers of the mobiles & tried all 3 softwares before I bought one. It's just a preference, and like noses, everyone has their own. Play around with all three and see which one works best for you. I like the fact that if you purchase a premium subscription from RR you can just download the frequencies right into the software and then arrange them how you want it.

fordman2006

Thanks for the help, I figured out how to put conventional frequencies in it and I think tgrp (talkgroups) ! I've been reading all the online manuals, the only thing I can't figure out is if I can make it scan faster cause sometimes I miss the beginning of a fd page or of a conversation! And I'd like to add the new tmr2 system in Nova Scotia which is a separate 700mhz system compared to the 800mhz
Tmr system which is already on the scanner, in the next year they will move from the 800mhz to the 700mhz system. I can't figure out where in the settings to go to make a new system and then how to link the ttalkgroups to that system.

fordman2006

Well I read the manuals again and played around all day and got it the way I want it! I set up the new 700mhz system and I think I got it right, just not sure if it's a p25 auto or manual, there's no one on the new system yet so I don't know I'd it's right but I get the control channels when I check them! The way I got it to scan faster is put a p for priority in the channels I monitor the most tthere's only about 10 of them so it seems to work! If there's a better way let me know. Also I can't figure out where to checkthe ffirmware version I have to see if it's the latest one! Thanks again

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
When you first turn on the scanner at the "Welcome" sign quickly press "3" on the key board for firmware......

fordman2006

Thanks, it says v 1.8 depending where I look online it says that2.1 is the latest but some ootherplaces it says 1.8 is the latest!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, it says v 1.8 depending where I look online it says that2.1 is the latest but some ootherplaces it says 1.8 is the latest!

For the PSR 600:

The latest CPU firmware is V 2.1

The latest DSP firmware is V 1.4

Check here:

Pacific

The Radio Shack PRO-197 version of the PSR 600 will have different firmware and different version numbers.

fordman2006

Ok thanks, if I install those new updates will I lose everything, because I programed it all by hand! It already had the Tmr system in it, I just loaded a few dozen conventional channels and the start of a new trunking system for Nova Scotia that will be in operation in the by the end of the year!

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
If you update the firmware it should not erase your programming. I have updated several scanners and never had that problem. Just follow the directions & you should be fine.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Ok thanks, if I install those new updates will I lose everything, because I programed it all by hand! It already had the Tmr system in it, I just loaded a few dozen conventional channels and the start of a new trunking system for Nova Scotia that will be in operation in the by the end of the year!

The manufacturer always suggests that you back up your scanner just in case. However, I have never seen a firmware upgrade wipe out any programming.

Here is a free utility from PSREdit to back up you scanner if you want.

PSR500DL - Backup and Restore utility for the PSR-500/600 and Pro-106/197

fordman2006

That should work perfectly, I seen on the Gre website that there's 2 updates, should I put both? One is the copy and the other is the dsp, should I put both and if so in what order?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
That should work perfectly, I seen on the Gre website that there's 2 updates, should I put both? One is the copy and the other is the dsp, should I put both and if so in what order?

I don't know what you are referring to as "copy update", but I did the DSP update first, and then the CPU update.

Read the instructions several times carefully, and follow them to the letter, and you won't have any problems.

Do you already have the programming cable properly installed and working with the correct drivers?

fordman2006

Oops auto correct changed it from cpu to copy, that's what I meant! I have the programing cable but never hooked it up to try it, do I download the driver from somewhere or will it installed on its own when I plug it in?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Oops auto correct changed it from cpu to copy, that's what I meant! I have the programing cable but never hooked it up to try it, do I download the driver from somewhere or will it installed on its own when I plug it in?

The driver for the data cable is on the same page as the updates. Use the latest version of that.

fordman2006

Ok thanks I'll check on that tonight at home, I saw the 2 different updates but I didn't see the driver for it on the Gre America website.

Status
Not open for further replies.