Useful Info To Save Some Money And Solve Listening Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wadenbc

Premium Subscriber
If you like listening to scanners and, as often happens, miss that important bit of info or call the moment you get up from your chair to grab a drink or answer the call of nature..... I may have the solution for you. This week, I was pleased to see the courier at my door delivering a Bluetooth Transmitter. This little handy device turns almost any audio device into a Bluetooth device simply by plugging into the earphone jack of the device. I quickly unwrapped it and plugged it into my scanner after pairing it with my Bluetooth headphones. Very impressed with how it works. Now, I can roam around the house, go out into the garage, yard, patio or to the upstairs bedroom all while listening to the scanner and not missing a beat. It has helped with keeping calm in the house as well as the wife is not as enthusiastic about scanner broadcasts as I am :cautious: LOL.
Anyway, if you have to decide in buying a portable scanner for anywhere from 400 to 500 dollars or this device for about 30 dollars, just want to throw that out there for consideration. I have attached some photos below.
Happy Listening!!

20200613_143122.jpg20200613_143126.jpg20200615_001539.jpg

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have used a couple of these for several years. The newer ones have better range, but if you have a large house, don't plan on wandering very far. If I work outside, they are great because I can listen without having the wire for an earpiece getting in the way with the radio on your belt.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Do you simply plug it into audio out jack on scanner and set your bluetooth speaker (or whatever) to discover it? This would be great to have when I wanna sit out on deck and be able to listen!

Ubbe

That's what I like about Unidens BCD536, and probably the same with SDS200, that it connects to the local WiFi net and then I can sit outside in a chair in the garden and listen with a mobile phone and at the same time see on its display what it is I am listening to and can control the scanner to continue scan or avoid a frequency. Good thinking from Uniden. It's a bit limited to only have audio in the blind without any control but it might be useful in some cases.

/Ubbe

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Do you simply plug it into audio out jack on scanner and set your bluetooth speaker (or whatever) to discover it? This would be great to have when I wanna sit out on deck and be able to listen!

I've been using a cheaper version for years, and yes that is basically all you need to do with it. But as @jaspence mentioned range can be an issue with older/cheaper versions.

wadenbc

Premium Subscriber

Just turn it on by following the instructions, pair with your Bluetooth headphones or speaker by following instructions and then plug into the earphone jack / headset jack on the scanner and you're good to go.

wadenbc

Premium Subscriber
That's what I like about Unidens BCD536, and probably the same with SDS200, that it connects to the local WiFi net and then I can sit outside in a chair in the garden and listen with a mobile phone and at the same time see on its display what it is I am listening to and can control the scanner to continue scan or avoid a frequency. Good thinking from Uniden. It's a bit limited to only have audio in the blind without any control but it might be useful in some cases.

/Ubbe

Tried mowing the lawn today. Wore the headphones outside while cutting the grass and heard the scanner transmissions flawlessly over the sound of the mower. Very impressed with the device. Best 30 bucks ever I spent!

Status
Not open for further replies.