• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

User choice of receive decode in TK-7360HV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to program in several mutual aid channels in my Kenwood TK-7360HV. The mutual aid radio programming guide states to encode transmission with a CTCSS tone of 156.7 for most of the frequencies but encourages carrier squelch on receive instead of CTCSS decode. Instead of programming each channel twice, one with carrier squelch and one with CTCSS decode, is there a method for programming channel once for user to select carrier squelch or tone decode? I've been looking through the help page for KPG-135D (programming software) but can't find anything... I'm not sure if I'm just not looking for it correctly or if I can't find it because that isn't possible.

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
Why do you want a CTCSS decode on the interop channels? Are you concerned about interference?

Why transmit a CTCSS tone at all if it is never decoded? Yes, it is possible that there may be interference so decoding tone to open squelch may be helpful in weeding out interference.

sfd119

Why do you want a CTCSS decode on the interop channels? Are you concerned about interference?

When I walk through a building the mutual aid channels with no CTCSS squelch from all sorts of interference. State says you have to encode your transmissions, I also put tones on the RX as well.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Tone protection for the mutual aid channels is new this year. Not everyone is going to get on board at the same time. The recommendation to leave decode off for now is to cover this for users not savvy enough to know why certain radios cannot be heard and what to do about it (yes they are out there). In a couple of years then it will change where decode will be required.

If you want to put in decode now that's fine, but it is up to you to pay attention to the traffic and if a radio shows up without a tone a simple press of the monitor button will fix that.

sfd119

Tone protection for the mutual aid channels is new this year. Not everyone is going to get on board at the same time. The recommendation to leave decode off for now is to cover this for users not savvy enough to know why certain radios cannot be heard and what to do about it (yes they are out there). In a couple of years then it will change where decode will be required.

If you want to put in decode now that's fine, but it is up to you to pay attention to the traffic and if a radio shows up without a tone a simple press of the monitor button will fix that.

I suppose it depends on the state. Wisconsin has required the tone tx for many years and after everyone narrowbanded it just made sense. Haven't had any problems.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I was referencing California (since the OP was from Roseville). Yes, Cal Fire tacs, OES channels, Vfires, etc are finally implementing CTCSS. About time. Will take a while to get every agency on board and smooth everything out. The result will be less interference and those annoying squelch crashes every time you back into a router or a light dimmer.

sfd119

I was referencing California (since the OP was from Roseville). Yes, Cal Fire tacs, OES channels, Vfires, etc are finally implementing CTCSS. About time. Will take a while to get every agency on board and smooth everything out. The result will be less interference and those annoying squelch crashes every time you back into a router or a light dimmer.

It is about time indeed. It just sucks for the year or two when everyone is updating/programming changes and reprogramming the fixes ;)

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin

That is correct. The state uses a two-year phase-in period for tone changes on the state load. The first year, we encode the CTCSS, but leave the decode CSQ. The second year, we add the Rx CTCSS.

Even with this phase period, EVERY YEAR, someone still shows up on a fire with a radio that did not get updated, and "I can't hear the tac net traffic" is a common sentence heard around our comm van.

The CDF Tacs, VFires, and VTacs have been fully phased in Tx and Rx since last year. This year Rx CTCSS was added to CALCORD. That was the only change to the interops this year. Rx CTCSS was also added to CESRS. VCALL 10 is still open squelch.

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I am in California and the programming guide is for California SAR MARS (dated July 2013). I am with the communication unit of the Placer County Sheriff Search and Rescue Team. I am planning on creating a new bank of channels in my radio with the all these state-wide VHF SARMARS channels.

I already have one bank in my Kenwood TK-7360HV for all the channels that are currently programmed into our old Icom 16-channel cache radios. We are currently in the process of transitioning our cache radios from the Icom 16-channel radio to the Kenwood TK-2170 128-channel portable because we've had to make touch decision for cutting channels out when adding new repeaters (plus our current Icom radios just plain suck).

Status
Not open for further replies.