USFS Huey Cobra pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uplink

This AH-1 was originally built in 1969. Shown here taking a break at the base camp for the "Day fire" in the Las Padres NF. The Cobra has always been my favorite. It's good to see these sleek machines back in the skies. The Forest Service has aquired several of these from the Army, and there are only 2 flying in CA. The fire is is very rough terrain near Lake Pyramid and has been burning since Labor Day.

USFS Cobra Story Here...

More on the USFS Cobra Equipment Here...

:)

Last edited:

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
ScannerDude244 said:
man that's bad ass!

Agreed. It's neat to see a helo like that used by a non-military agency, although I find myself questioning what the USFS does with an attack helo at a forest fire...? Is it an airborne command platform or what?

pfish

Premium Subscriber
Eng74 said:
They are used for air attack and I think it also has a FLEAR.
You mean a FLIR?

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Mills is happy to report that the project far exceeded the capabilities that were initially expected. The Cobra has proven to be an ideal platform for the StarSAFIRE III and the crew is able to relay essential information for fire attack coordination. A second Forest Service Cobra is currently being assembled at Fort Drum, New York.
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

BirkenVogt

They are pretty powerful as well, I understand they have a pretty good lift. They are not a Huey either, just plain "Cobra"

Birken

Mach_1

Nice pics, saw the Cobra last year at the air show in Grass Valley ... did not get any (good) pictures to share though...

BirkenVogt

Right after I saw this thread one flew over my house, I had seen it the previous day as well but much higher. I did not know what it was until this thread. I believe it was off Redding and going for a turn on the Ralston fire, and I believe the call sign was Air Attack 507.

I was reading about these online, seems they did a cost study and these were surprisingly cheaper to operate than most other aircraft for this purpose.

Also I stand corrected it can be called a Huey Cobra though I have never heard it called that. With only two rotor blades it does sound a lot like a Huey though.

Birken

Uplink

BirkenVogt said:
Right after I saw this thread one flew over my house, I had seen it the previous day as well but much higher. I did not know what it was until this thread. I believe it was off Redding and going for a turn on the Ralston fire, and I believe the call sign was Air Attack 507.

I was reading about these online, seems they did a cost study and these were surprisingly cheaper to operate than most other aircraft for this purpose.

Also I stand corrected it can be called a Huey Cobra though I have never heard it called that. With only two rotor blades it does sound a lot like a Huey though.

Birken

I was wondering where he went, I haven't seen him on this fire the last several days.
This one was callsign Cobra509. Yes, it could also be called the Bell Cobra. It's the same engine and mechanics as the UH-1 Huey. The pilot was very cool and liked to talk about it, he has worked fires as far north as Eureka, he says it flys like a hot rod in the sky.

Last edited:

RobertW1

A friend of mine flew these in Vietnam. They can bank and go inverted. Have plenty of power and lift as the blades are 34" in width. Only the Marines and Israelies use this bird anymore. The Army has gone exclusively to the Apache gunship.

The guy in the frontseat is hampered by a 4:1 mechanical disadvantage due to the length of his controls. His cyclic stick is on his RH side instead of being between his legs. The backseat has great visibility...

In the military version the backseat usually fired the rockets while the frontseat handled the turret, which had a minigun and/or a grenade launcher. I wonder what the man in the front cockpit is responsible for on the USFS version? Taking pictures, the FLIR, etc.?

Eng74

If it is an air attack he is calling where the drops go and doing all that stuff. He is an air controller in the sky. Our County 212 has a Cobra engine and trans in it and the can not max it out or it will tear the ship apart they say.

BlueZebra

Aa 507

AA 507 is shared amoung the fires in No Cal because of it's FLIR ability, as well as it's ability to direct aircraft. It has been spending most of it's nights at Redding.

Nice pic in the local paper BirkenVogt!

RolnCode3

I keep checking this thread, and still can't believe how frickin' cool that thing looks. That is probably the coolest helo I've ever seen.

Normally I just let the 'hosers' go about their business...but in this particular instance, I'm envious! That's a hell of a job.

BirkenVogt

Yes I believe there are two of them, 507 north and 509 south. As well as Florida has some.

Yes I was in the paper for the umpteenth time. I must be very photogenic

Birken

Status
Not open for further replies.