USGS in Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
USGS has three offices in Arizona: Flagstaff, Tucson, and Yuma.

Does anyone have any frequency information other than the VHF data link to the NAU seismograph?

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
They don't have to register Freq with FCC. Their VHF Mostly abandoned. They are on cellular or PTT with First Net. California they used radio some. USGS were never big radio users.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
FirstNet was initiated in 2016/2017 and does not provide 100% coverage on the US CONUS landform. Cellular towers do not always extend in the areas in which USGS works. Neither is the sole or combined communications means for that agency.

USGS has some radio networking for seismology, volcanology, critical streamflows, subsidence, and other critical taskings.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
USGS were never big radio users.

Perhaps in California, but in Oregon & Washington they do use VHF repeaters around the Mt. St. Helens area quite a bit. They do have a lot of data paths, cameras and other monitoring systems for the volcano research.

Since we are taking about Arizona, I would add that I have seen make USGS pickup trucks in Tucson, and at least one that I saw had a VHF whip antenna on the roof.

But I would say that relying on PTT over cellular would not work in most areas where they work here...

- Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.