Using 2 RTL-SDRs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adenosine

On my first RTL-SDR I'm been running DSD+ Fastlane for some time now using 1R.bat which works great for the system I am monitoring. No problems with that. However when I go to use my extra RTL-SDR for ADS-B stuff, it can't see it, the Dump1090 program will only see that my first dongle is in use and errors out.

I'm not sure how to point the Dump1090 to the correct one or even if what I'm trying to do is possible.

Background: I run a Mode s Beast and feed planeplotter. I'd like to see if I have any 978 mhz ADS-b traffic around and figured I could put the extra Dongle to work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Similar topic about using two dongles for trunk tracking and they talked about serial numbers important in pointing to using the correct dongle. I recall them talking about a hardcoded number in each dongle and/or creating a #1 and #2 to differentiate them. No details other than this post as I don't have a second SDR, but do recall reading something about your issue.
Good Luck,
Mike

Adenosine

Use your second dongle for DSD+ instead. Run batch files FMP24-VC.bat and 1Ra.bat

Nice, guess I forgot you can point the DSD+. The setup has been running so long, I just don't mess with it anymore.

The Dump1090 is running now on the RTL-SDR. Now I have something to do if I get quarantined.

-Thank You

a417

U+0000
Similar topic about using two dongles for trunk tracking and they talked about serial numbers important in pointing to using the correct dongle. I recall them talking about a hardcoded number in each dongle and/or creating a #1 and #2 to differentiate them. No details other than this post as I don't have a second SDR, but do recall reading something about your issue.
Good Luck,
Mike
this is routinely accomplished with rtl_eeprom.

Code:
rtl_eeprom -d 0 -s "01"
sets the first dongles serial ID to string "01" which can then be handed to DSD+ or OP25 to allow dongle differentiation.

morfis

this is routinely accomplished with rtl_eeprom.

Code:
rtl_eeprom -d 0 -s "01"
sets the first dongles serial ID to string "01" which can then be handed to DSD+ or OP25 to allow dongle differentiation.

Usually safer to explicitly use all eight characters and possibly better to use numbers higher than "00000001" and "00000002" to be certain that there is no chance of confusion with a windows device ID.
If using one for ads-b it could be named "00001090" (in the US you might then use a second "00000978" for the other frequency and perhaps a third "0000VDL2" (yes, numbers or letters work fine).
With the older dvb-t devices an ID could use the ppm adjustment figure it requires.

Renaming them uniquely makes it much easier to use four on a Raspberry Pi for all your aircraft data (or multiple internet accessible receivers)

a417

U+0000
Usually safer to explicitly use all eight characters and possibly better to use numbers higher than "00000001" and "00000002" to be certain that there is no chance of confusion with a windows device ID.
If using one for ads-b it could be named "00001090" (in the US you might then use a second "00000978" for the other frequency and perhaps a third "0000VDL2" (yes, numbers or letters work fine).
With the older dvb-t devices an ID could use the ppm adjustment figure it requires.

Renaming them uniquely makes it much easier to use four on a Raspberry Pi for all your aircraft data (or multiple internet accessible receivers)
With a single windows XP box and 1 dongle, I forgot about the windows device ID issues...everything else I have is on linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.