Using 396XT with GPS and RH96

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just curious if anyone has had success in using both the GPS and the remote head RH96 with the BC396XT? I seem to remember a post on the internet from around 2009 that someone was trying to figure out a way of doing this (since the input jack for both on the 396 is the same jack, but nothing further that I can see. I see there is a data jack on the RH96 for computer updates.......

Any help would be appreciated. Sean VA3HD

JamesO

Just curious if anyone has had success in using both the GPS and the remote head RH96 with the BC396XT? I seem to remember a post on the internet from around 2009 that someone was trying to figure out a way of doing this (since the input jack for both on the 396 is the same jack, but nothing further that I can see. I see there is a data jack on the RH96 for computer updates.......

Any help would be appreciated. Sean VA3HD

Cannot answer the question specifically. I know there were questions about using a single GPS to feed multiple scanners.

The GPS is a "broadcast" device, it does not expect or required any data input, just transmits the GPS data.

Not sure if you could have some sort of data "Mux" or "Switch" that could combine the data streams on the receive side of the scanner and feed the GPS data every so often. I do not thing the GPS data has to be continuously feed to the scanner for turning on and off sites??

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I asked this specific question a little over a year ago. Upman said it could be done and how one could go about wiring things together. It seemed a little daunting to my skills, so I did not attempt this.

You could do a search for the previous post and see how Upman said this could be done.

I was contemplating installing a 396XT using GPS and the RH 96 in a new vehicle which I got in April of 2013. So I imagine the specific time frame is between January and March of 2013. Hopefully that might help narrow your search parameters.

GPS

Yes I was aware being able to use a GPS to feed multiple devices. I actually do this in my truck to feed an APRS radio & DSTAR radio . Its getting the GPS and RH96 control head to work at the same time with the BCD396XT that is the challenge. If Uniden would have put a separate port in the scanner for GPS and one for Data and Control, I would be in heaven lol. Ill check with Upmans previous post thanks

Sean VA3HD

Status
Not open for further replies.