Using a BC245xlt with Albemarle Trunking System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloan

Hello all - I hope you don't mind me asking a tech question. I have a Bearcat BC245xlt scanner from a few years back and was hoping to use it to listen to the system used by Charlottesville/Albemarle. From what I'm reading, this scanner *should* be able to listen in.

The Albemarle trunking system is a Motorola II 800mhz SMARTNET. I've entered all frequencies and made sure that the correct trunking type was selected but I'm not getting anything. Is there anything I'm forgetting? I'm listening from the heart of UVA which should at least be able to pick something up Cville-related.

Thanks very much from a total scanning newbie.

(If this thread is in the wrong forum area, please feel free to delete or move it).

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you're referring to this system...

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2081

you would only be able to listen in on the talkgroups with an 'A' (analog). Everything else is digital, and you'd need one of the digital trunktrackers for that. In addition you would need to program ALL the frequencies, not just the control channels - the 245 didn't have that ability 73 Mike

sloan

Ah, I see. Many thanks Mike. I didn't realize that things had gone digital since I had last used my scanner. Time to go looking for an upgrade! :)

Thanks again for the quick response.

gcgrotz

Hi sloan! Welcome back to scanning and RR. I'm in C'ville too. With analog, you could listen to the jail (boring) or the rare special event or manhunt where they use one of the analog TAC groups. They used one when the prez was here last month. Otherwise you have to spring for digital.

Keep the 245, it is good for all the surrounding counties and (for a while anyway) the State PD. And there's always rail, air, and events at the Pavillion.

Hope to see you around here often!

sloan

Thanks guys! I actually live out towards Batesville so my 245 will still be good for Nelson County stuff I imagine. Appreciate all the help and feedback!

sloan

One more question because you guys were so helpful. I'm considering taking a dive and getting a BCT996t. What are the chances that Virginia systems will go encrypted/scrambled or otherwise be unable to be listened to in the near future? I know that it's impossible to predict the future, but is there a nationwide trend of this happening currently?

smwincva

Premium Subscriber
One more question because you guys were so helpful. I'm considering taking a dive and getting a BCT996t. What are the chances that Virginia systems will go encrypted/scrambled or otherwise be unable to be listened to in the near future? I know that it's impossible to predict the future, but is there a nationwide trend of this happening currently?

While I don't know what might be encrypted in the future, I can tell you I just got my BCT996t a few weeks and I think it is a great scanner. It blocks encrypted messages. But the feature I like is being able to put multiple sites together. That means in the case of STARS and the Fauquier/Culpeper/Rappahannock County system, you would need to program the talkgroup IDs once for each system. And the 996 is much easier to change freqs & alpha tags than the earlier 796.

Steve

svfire1

Ok, So I have a RS Pro-433 and Im about 30 miles or so from Charlottesville and 50 Miles or so from Roanoke. My Pro-433 is not a Digital scanner there for I WOULD NOT be able to pick up the Trunked Systems from these two places right?

Thanks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Even if you could hear it, you could not DECODE the digital transmissions. All you would hear is a noise burst 73 Mike

gcgrotz

Kris, can you hear Roanoke? I haven't kept up but I didn't think they were digital.

As for encryption: I guess there is not much we can do about it. I wouldn't let it stop me from buying a scanner (lack of money would however) since there is plenty to listen to for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.