Using a duplexer 1 Antenna 2 Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0VWG

I know this is been brought up before a while back, Is it possible to have 1 vhf radio and 1 uhf radio into 1 antenna with a duplexer? The vhf would be 2 meters and the Uhf would be Gmrs and only one radio will be transmitting at a time. I know the best option would be to use separate antennas but I am running out of room on the tower. Can this be safely done with a good quality duplexer, without frying the other radio?
Is anyone using a setup like this now?
Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

methusaleh

I have been using a Comet 2m/440 duplexer in a mobile install for about two years now. Honestly, it seems just fine, in fact there is no perceptible loss of performance compared to having either radio hooked up to the antenna by itself. I occasionally take the duplexer out of line and just use one radio on the antenna for a few days, to see if I can detect any change in performance, but so far so good.

I admit I was hesitant to try such an arrangement at first, however in the end it is working out well.

radact

I also am running out of room on my roof and the wife is getting on me about all the antennas.

I use one of those expensive Discone antennas with a Tri-plexer and use it for 151 Murs, 220 Ham
and 460 GMRS and have no problems with either radio.

The discone is up about 50 feet and works great all over town.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

As long as the antenna and band combiner cover the frequencies being used, it should work fine. Many hams use such a setup, especially in a mobile setting.

KB0VWG

Thanks

I kinda thought it would work but just wanted to be sure. I will purchase a New duplexer.
Thanks
73's
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Status
Not open for further replies.