Using a larger "small" tuned loop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedispork

Hello Everyone.

I have been investigating small tuned loops. I've came across many posts from W8JI on how to make them efficient and it baffles me that most of the commercial loops are only 3 feet across and use coax. I've read that coax braid can be lossy vs copper strap or pipe. I know shipping is a issue but if they insist on coax they should make them even just a bit larger. I would think a 4 foot diameter loop would work much better

I've been reading G0CWT page and he claims good results can be made from a larger wire loop. I've been playing with a calculator and on 40 meters a "small" wire loop just less than a 1/4 wave can be close to 50% efficiency. I doubt that is accurate but it has to be better than one of the tiny commercial loops.

I ordered a mfj loop tuner where you hook up your own loop. These seem like the best option anywhere for a small space antenna that could work on 30-40 meters. While a dipole is impractical it shouldn't be that hard to string up some wire on my deck in a square shape that would be close to a 1/4 wave. I mostly do digital so going out to qsy isn't a big issue.

So I was wondering what you guys thought of a larger wire loop and why aren't they more commonly used?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.