• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Using a mobil antenna as a base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightshade

For cost reasons alone I'd like to use a Wilson 1000 mag mount as BOTH a base and mobil antenna. My goal is to install the Wilson on my Suburban when we take trips 4 or 5 times a year then leave it on a post (with a steel plate) outside the rest of the year as a base antenna.

That brings me the root question.......Does a mobil antenna require the steel body of the vehicle to work properly for a radiating a signal?

ArtU

Put the antenna on a 'Frigerator.
I used to do that as a young adult while living in apartments.

If you need the antenna outside find something with alot of metal like that to put it on.

If that does not work for what you plan, put it on the post with the small steal plate and put a ground strap down to the ground in a metal tent peg. Then add 9 foot ground radials from the post using the green fence wire found at hardware/TSC stores. Run close to the ground the grass grows over them and they stay buried. I use those style radials on my 33-1/3 foot festivus pole, sometimes known as a 40 meter vertical.

ArtU

Last edited:

Nightshade

Put the antenna on a 'Frigerator.
I used to do that as a young adult while living in apartments.

If you need the antenna outside find something with alot of metal like that to put it on.

If that does not work for what you plan, put it on the post with the small steal plate and put a ground strap down to the ground in a metal tent peg. Then add 9 foot ground radials from the post using the green fence wire found at hardware/TSC stores. Run close to the ground the grass grows over them and they stay buried. I use those style radials on my 33-1/3 foot festivus pole, sometimes known as a 40 meter vertical.

ArtU

Thanks! Interesting , and cost effective, solution. I'll set this up this spring!!

ArtU

Thanks! Interesting , and cost effective, solution. I'll set this up this spring!!

As a followup note, to keep the ground radial wires close to the ground; I use those $2 a pack of four wal-mart/target tent pegs. I loop about the top of the peg with the radial wire and push in the ground. Use three or four radials 9 feet out for CB/11 meters.

Even without the first year grass growth you can run the lawn mover or bush hog over them and they stay put.

N

N_Jay

. . Even without the first year grass growth you can run the lawn mover or bush hog over them and they stay put.

And if the lawnmower does catch one, you will probably only lose one foot. :evil:

(it really bugs me when people give out blatantly dangerous advice)

Nightshade

And if the lawnmower does catch one, you will probably only lose one foot. :evil:

(it really bugs me when people give out blatantly dangerous advice)

Easy, dude. These radial are buried about 2>3" or so under the grass. So what's to catch?

N

N_Jay

I don't think we need a poll to ask who thinks running a wire where you cut the grass is a bad idea.

If you want to bury it, that is a whole different story, but trusting tent stakes and growth of grass to keep it safe is NOT smart.

DX949

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I don't think we need a poll to ask who thinks running a wire where you cut the grass is a bad idea.

If you want to bury it, that is a whole different story, but trusting tent stakes and growth of grass to keep it safe is NOT smart.

Yes we need poll's if people like you want to decide for others.

Some posts can be interpreted as either humorous or insulting
When not sure, always assume humorous
If you only find it insulting you have misunderstood my post or I have misunderstood your post

ArtU

Sorry N_Jay, but that has been done by hams for years. I was shown the same way decades ago. Its easy and it works.

If you still want to act like a Doubting Thomas, then try it out yourself for proof how safe it really is. When was the last time you even put a tent stake in the ground sir? How many Radio Expeditions have you been on? How many field ops have you setup?

I'm done with this topic with you Sir, good day.

ArtU

Nightshade

Sorry N_Jay, but that has been done by hams for years. I was shown the same way decades ago. Its easy and it works.

If you still want to act like a Doubting Thomas, then try it out yourself for proof how safe it really is. When was the last time you even put a tent stake in the ground sir? How many Radio Expeditions have you been on? How many field ops have you setup?

I'm done with this topic with you Sir, good day.

ArtU

Hey! Hey! I'm still here!! Come on back!!!!!

Don't let a sad sack run you off! Just ignore the dude since that's what I'm doing.......

Nightshade

As a followup note, to keep the ground radial wires close to the ground; I use those $2 a pack of four wal-mart/target tent pegs. I loop about the top of the peg with the radial wire and push in the ground. Use three or four radials 9 feet out for CB/11 meters.

Even without the first year grass growth you can run the lawn mover or bush hog over them and they stay put.

How do I adjust SWR if I need to for this set up?

N

N_Jay

Setting up a temporary antenna with ground wires on the ground, tied to trees, or held down with tent posts is nothing new.

Suggesting that you can run a lawnmower over them is still a dumb idea.

One lose stake, one wire pulled a little to high due to some kid kicking it, and I would rather not see the results.

The amazing thing about doing stupid things, is you can almost convince yourself they are OK because "nine times out of ten", or even "99 times out of a hundred; - "nothing bad happens".

DX949

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Setting up a temporary antenna with ground wires on the ground, tied to trees, or held down with tent posts is nothing new.

Suggesting that you can run a lawnmower over them is still a dumb idea.

One lose stake, one wire pulled a little to high due to some kid kicking it, and I would rather not see the results.

The amazing thing about doing stupid things, is you can almost convince yourself they are OK because "nine times out of ten", or even "99 times out of a hundred; - "nothing bad happens".

Don't forget "saying" something stupid..................and you win.

Some posts can be interpreted as either humorous and insulting
When not sure, always assume humorous.lol

ArtU

How do I adjust SWR if I need to for this set up?

The same way you would if it was on your car. Adjust the whip up and down.

SWR high on 40 and lower on 1 then you need to shorten the whip. SWR high on 1 and lower on 40, you need to lengthen the whip.

ArtU

Nightshade

The same way you would if it was on your car. Adjust the whip up and down.

SWR high on 40 and lower on 1 then you need to shorten the whip. SWR high on 1 and lower on 40, you need to lengthen the whip.

ArtU

Looks like I'll need to add an SWR meter to my shopping list..........

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
OP's question has been answered, and dangerous conditions addressed...

Status
Not open for further replies.