• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Using a Non Existent PL tone in Armada

nhollmann

Premium Subscriber
A local county wide system has been put in place for a dispatch channel for FD/EMS agencies with a pl tone for Tx and Rx of 159.8, most agencies in the county use nx5000 series radios and you can force an invalid PL but with armada I haven't found a way to force it in armada. Is this possible to attempt it?

lenk911

pl tone for Tx and Rx of 159.8,
As the tones get higher and higher the spacing in between them increases. The reason why is the TIA standard has them spaced 3.5% apart for a reason as old as electrical engineering itself. For the uninformed, they look appealing to squeeze another tone out of the CTCSS tables. What the original selector of the non-standard tone has done is potentially causing falsing of theirs and co-channel receiver decoders on 156.7 and 162.2 HZ. Great reason for sticking with the TIA standard.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The PL tones were built with the idea that one tone does not have a harmonic relationship with another that would cause falsing. The same as DPL, any sequence cannot duplicate the continual stream use of any other DPL number. Because of this manufacturers sometimes limit the choices to what is available from the standard chart. Having a radio that is able to program a non-standard tone or code puts the user at risk from falsing. You pick your radio and take your chances. Any entity that uses a non-standard code just doesn't get it.

nhollmann

Premium Subscriber
The PL tones were built with the idea that one tone does not have a harmonic relationship with another that would cause falsing. The same as DPL, any sequence cannot duplicate the continual stream use of any other DPL number. Because of this manufacturers sometimes limit the choices to what is available from the standard chart. Having a radio that is able to program a non-standard tone or code puts the user at risk from falsing. You pick your radio and take your chances. Any entity that uses a non-standard code just doesn't get it.
The system was setup and programmed by a local radio shop, my assumption is they didn't pay much attention when choosing the privacy tone.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
From Tech Support, the entry of non-standard PL tones is not supported in Armada.

Sorry.
Wow, that's unfortunate. Have they considered "fixing" it? A number of the tones implemented by Motorola, Vertex, Kenwood, Midian (see page 5 here), and others are out there in fleets we need to work with.

While at it, there may be some DPL codes missing (don't have my complete spreadsheet available at the moment). I count 103 in the Armada DCS listbox, which includes some of the "non-recommended" (because of 16 NRZ) like D212N, but there may be 112 possible working codes. It looks like the way they implemented inverted codes was to document the equivalent "normal" code for the inverted codes, which may not catch a couple edge cases, IIRC. I'll check tomorrow.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
They really should allow whatever is a valid tone/code, like all the older KPG-* programs (not to mention other manufacturers that get this right).

The following nine known used CTCSS tones are missing from Armada 1.40.21.138 (I'll have to confirm 1.42 later): 150.0, 159.8, 165.5, 171.3, 177.3, 183.5, 189.9, 196.6, 199.5.

As far as the DCS list, it has:
  • (83) "standard" DCS code groups.
  • Group D036N/D172I/D137N/D057I that is missing from the "standard" set.
  • (20) of the (21) code groups with 16 transitions that are generally workable.
    • The missing one is D112N/D250N/D505N/D512N, understandably missing from this category because there are no inverted versions that will match, and there are probably systems out there that would fail if it were used.
  • D525N is included, even though it is a match of D145N.
  • D645N is included, even though it is a match of D526N.
Reference: OnFreq DCS

Are they working on this?

Last edited:

wd8chl

Some of the odd tones I ran across were from low band business systems. If you were using a standard tone, when the band came up, it was unavoidable to hear someone else with the same tone. So a number of places used odd tones like 81.0 and 188.0, among others.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
No change in the latest 1.42.17.220 from what I observed in 1.40.21.138.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
EFJ is probably using whatever is on ghe TIA standards list.