• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Using a repeater station!

Status
Not open for further replies.

paton400

Hey,
Im very confused...

I just bought 4 FCD FD450 radios, and their range in not very far in the centre of Sydney. I know that in built up areas they range is reduced, but I cant even get 2ks out of them!

After a lot of googling, I have found out that I can connect to a repeater station in Hurtsville, and that will give me range over the whole of Sydney! Is this the case?
If so how on earth do I connect to it?
It says something about having to switch to Duplex. Im not quite sure how to do this.

The manual doesnt really tell me what im doing, just how to do it...

So when I select the duplex button it gives me three options, 'S', - (minus) and '+' (plus). Im guessing the S means simplex.
It also requires me to type in a code, or frequency in the form of 00.000. I have no idea what to put in here. The frequency for the repeater as far as I can see is on channel 1 (476.425)

Can anyone help??

LtDoc

A repeater receives a signal on one frequency and retransmits it on another frequency at the same time. There's an input and an output frequency and you have to have both for it to work. That's a 'duplex' repeater. A 'simplex' repeater receives a signal, holds it till you are through, then retransmits it on the same frequency.
I assume that 'S' is 'shift', or the frequency difference between the input and output frequencies. Usually, that 'shift' is a standard or fixed number. (No idea what it would be in your instance.) The radio then does that change between transmit/receive frequency 'automatically' without you programming in the correct frequencies.
That "code, or frequency in the form of 00.000" sounds like it may be a PL or CTCSS code. They are tones that tell the repeater to 'turn on' for your transmissions, a sort of 'key' to unlock the repeater. Why? Cuz there can be a lot of repeaters on the same frequency/channel and those 'tones' tell which one to turn on. The others won't 'hear' you (wrong tones so you won't 'connect').
Confused yet? :) It isn't always as simple as it sounds, but, it's also not that difficult, just different.
- 'Doc

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I know what you're asking and can give you a vague idea but I'm another clueless American when it comes to WIA standards regarding UHF CB. May I suggest the Australia forum?

paton400

Ok, having another play around...

It looks like the S in infact simplex. When I chose + it just make a steady loud tone when i prett the ptt. and when I use - (minus) it changes the frequency and transmits. But I dont know how to change that frequency.

eg. Im on channel 1 ( 476.425 ) and when I choose the minus logo in duplex the channel changes to (449.110)

So what it looks like to me, is that if the repeater station is on channel 1, I want the radio to be on channel 1 (476.425) normally, but when I press the PTT it changes to channel 31 (477.175).

Is that correct? Or is it the other way around?

So I need to find away to change that frequency that come up when I press the PTT. This is proving very difficult. Also that frequency changes depending what channel im on normally.

There is a button that I can press that seems to reverse these channels.

The instruction manual says...

Duplex Reverse Frequency
Press and hold [REV] key for 2 sec. to interchange TX and RX
frequencies.

Simplex – Duplex
Press [F] + [REV] key sequence to view settings for currently
displayed frequency. Use [◄] / [►] keys to select either “S”
simplex operation, or for duplex operation select either “+” for
positive offset or “-“for negative offset. Press PTT to accept
selected setting and exit. (See item #9 for offset value. E.g.
00.600MHz)

Duplex Offset Frequency
Press [F] + [8] key sequence to view the TX/RX offset for the
currently displayed frequency. Key in the desired offset
frequency and then press the PTT switch to accept the value
and exit. (E.g. “00600” for 0.600MHz offset)
(The selection range is 00.000 to 99.995 MHz).

If this makes sense t anyone, please help!

cheers!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
OK, normally the displayed frequency is receive, when the PTT button is pressed it displays the transmit frequency. When in simplex mode (S) they are the same, when in duplex it's the repeater input frequency. The reverse function reverses them, usually an R button that when pressed allows you to hear the input.

If you press the transmit button with the wrong offset selected you get an error beep, most radios "know" whether the offset is + or - so you have the wrong offset selected. See section 9 for changing the offset value from default but I can't be more precise not knowing standard offsets for Australian repeaters, that you'll have to find out for yourself.

Oh it makes sense to ME but programming doesn't come easy, guaranteed I'd have to fiddle with it to get it right. Don't worry, you won't break it so slow down and don't throw it against the wall. (;->) Fair dinkum, mate and please tell Paul Hogan they're PRAWNS.

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
First thing that you need to do is find out about the repeater: who owns/operates it, is it open (free for all) or closed (membership to a club or pay), What are the frequency offsets and the tone codes? Have you heard anyone on this repeater?

Doing the above will answer all the other questions plus maybe get you some hands on help to get you online.

HHRJ

Status
Not open for further replies.