Using a TV antenna for the scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
So I picked up this antenna a little while back along with the 30 ft mast I mentioned before that I was going to get.

If i stick this up and hook up a matching transformer to connect it to some basic RG6 cable. What can I expect out of this?

I think if anything I'd point it east towards Ottawa to experiment.

I don't know what kind of antenna it is other then it's an old tv antenna that's been up probably about 30 years or longer.

Attachments

• 20201004_143220.jpg
    20201004_143220.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 68

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
No reason it wouldn't work, give it a try. Maybe even hook it up before putting on the roof and see what it does. You're going to want to mount it so the elements are vertical not horizontal however. Update us with your results.

You're probably going to want one of these:

mule1075

Feed Provider
So I picked up this antenna a little while back along with the 30 ft mast I mentioned before that I was going to get.

If i stick this up and hook up a matching transformer to connect it to some basic RG6 cable. What can I expect out of this?

I think if anything I'd point it east towards Ottawa to experiment.

I don't know what kind of antenna it is other then it's an old tv antenna that's been up probably about 30 years or longer.
It will work to a degree and it might work better than in you think. A lot of threads here on the subject of just drilling a hole to change the it from vertical to horizontal. Grove did this for years the Scannerbeam comes to mind.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Grove did this for years the Scannerbeam comes to mind.

Grove didn't just flip a common TV antenna. Although it looked like one it was actually cut and tuned for common scanner radio bands and not just TV. It was a great performer. I wished someone would make it today only a little sturdier to hold up in high winds and heavy ice.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Grove didn't just flip a common TV antenna. Although it looked like one it was actually cut and tuned for common scanner radio bands and not just TV. It was a great performer. I wished someone would make it today only a little sturdier to hold up in high winds and heavy ice.
Had an Antennacraft TV antenna and two versions of the Scannerbeam and the dimensions were almost identical. With the exception of the standoff mount they appeared to be the same. That being said the OP has nothing to lose trying.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have an idea as to what kind of antenna this may be or similar to? Frequency range?

As a TV antenna it was horizontal. How big of a difference will this make if I just flip it to vertical to try this out or just keep it on the flat side?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Flipping it to vertical polarization is likely to produce a 15-20 dB gain in what you can receive at VHF and UHF frequencies... and that is huge. So plan to mount it vertically, as that is the polarization used by the services which you'll be receiving. Also, you should check out this RR thread -
Old Analog TV Antenna?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
In the pic you posted, the front end of the antenna (which should be pointed toward the signal(s) you are trying to receive) is on the left side of the pic. It's the end with the three shorter, straight elements at 90 degrees to the boom. NOT the end with the longest straight element... that's the back or "reflector".

Ubbe

Frequency range?
As a tv antenna it was horizontal. How big of a difference will this make if I just flip it to vertical to try this out or just keep it on the flat side?
It's a VHF two band antenna. It covers something like 50-70 MHz and 175-220 MHz. Radio signals will bounce around a lot and even the air layers will make the polarisation shift so you probably won't lose more than 10dB in signal having it horizontal. But that's a 10 times lower signal strength. It will probably work to receive all kinds of frequencies, even in the 800MHz band as it is so big in size and will capture a lot of RF.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.