Using a UBC125XLT in the US?

JSteel

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I've been considering getting a handheld scanner specifically for airband (civil + military), and have been reading a bunch of different threads on here re: the same. I'm considering getting a UBC125XLT via Amazon.co.uk, since it has the missing 380-400MHz band that the BC125AT is missing, but I wondered if, aside from the lack of a US warranty and the higher price tag due to currency conversions and shipping, if there would be any issues running it here in the States. Has anyone encountered any issues?

I'm also considering a Radio Shack PRO-164; it would be considerably cheaper, but it would also obviously be used, more difficult to program, older, and so on. Any thoughts on a PRO-164 instead of the UBC?

Thanks!

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Is the step size selectable? In the VHF band that scanner shows 8.33 rather than the US version of 25 MHz, which means the VHF airband would not be received. The UHF airband shows 12.5 MHz which should be okay. Other frequency ranges maybe different too in case you plan on using it for anything else.

JSteel

Premium Subscriber
Is the step size selectable? In the VHF band that scanner shows 8.33 rather than the US version of 25 MHz, which means the VHF airband would not be received. The UHF airband shows 12.5 MHz which should be okay. Other frequency ranges maybe different too in case you plan on using it for anything else.

That's a great point that I had not considered, re: step size; thank you for mentioning it. The manual you linked to states that the step size is selectable for airband between the two options of 8.33 and 12.5kHz, but: "Note: If the scanner is turned off, step frequency is set to initial setting."... I'm interpreting that as meaning "If you set it to something other than 8.33, it's going to be 8.33 the next time you turn it on". If that's the case, then it's a no-go for sure.

Thanks again!

JSteel

Premium Subscriber
what about the Ac power requirements?

I had thought about that as well, but I have plenty of rechargeable AAs on-hand, and it has USB for power + data, so I didn't think it would be an issue. I just wouldn't be able to use the plug in the box. Thanks!

Scan125

Don't think this Step Size is an issue.

My UBC125XLT hits all the 25kHz steps but it does do this in 8.33 chunks. (8.33 * 3 = 25). So scanning is a little slower as it takes more hops to cover 25kHz.

What the BC125AT has which the UBC125XLT does not have is Wide Band FM, ie. commercial FM radio broadcast capability. Also in the UBC125XLT then FM = NFM but in the BC125AT you have NFM and FM. Why the UBC125XLT would want to confuse FM terminology I have no idea.

Also the Services Search Bands (pre defined) are different.

A quick / simple summary of the differences can be found her on my website.

Scan125 Control Program User Manual

JSteel

Premium Subscriber
Don't think this Step Size is an issue.

My UBC125XLT hits all the 25kHz steps but it does do this in 8.33 chunks. (8.33 * 3 = 25). So scanning is a little slower as it takes more hops to cover 25kHz.

What the BC125AT has which the UBC125XLT does not have is Wide Band FM, ie. commercial FM radio broadcast capability. Also in the UBC125XLT then FM = NFM but in the BC125AT you have NFM and FM. Why the UBC125XLT would want to confuse FM terminology I have no idea.

Also the Services Search Bands (pre defined) are different.

A quick / simple summary of the differences can be found her on my website.

Scan125 Control Program User Manual

Thank you very much!

I think I will need to look elsewhere for a full-milair-capable analog handheld... keeping my eyes peeled for a BR330T or a PRO-164 now...

cherubim

The UBC-126AT has full civil and mil-air band coverage and is only just discontinued. I saw a few on eBay Australia.

The 396T/396XT, Icom R5/R6, Yaesu VR-120, VX-3R are all pretty good on civil and mil-air also.

I personally use an Icom R30 and an AOR-8200D for airband monitoring but these are much more expensive.

Scan125

The UBC-126AT has full civil and mil-air band coverage and is only just discontinued. I saw a few on eBay Australia.

The 396T/396XT, Icom R5/R6, Yaesu VR-120, VX-3R are all pretty good on civil and mil-air also.

I personally use an Icom R30 and an AOR-8200D for airband monitoring but these are much more expensive.
The UBC126AT unlike the UBC125XLT, but like the BC125AT does broadcast FM (wide) as well as FM narrow

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have the Icom R6 and the BC125AT. The Icom is a good radio, but the limited keyboard can be frustrating for things like channel lockout. Sound of the Icom is slightly better.

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
Your initial post heading of "Using a UBC125xlt in the US?" (emphasis added) begs the question, notwithstanding your North Carolina location (?) and interest in MilAir, where do you hark from?:

GROL

Thank you very much!

I think I will need to look elsewhere for a full-milair-capable analog handheld... keeping my eyes peeled for a BR330T or a PRO-164 now...
If you are going to mainly use a handheld scanner for civilian and military air bands, the PRO-164 is a very good performer. Good audio and good receiver performance. Definately larger, but easy to program manually or via PC. I have two of them. If the BC125AT included 380-400 MHz I would have bought one for the size. Instead I mainly use my BCD325P2 when portable for air bands. The best performer I have for civilian and military air is the BCT15X. Great audio and very good receiver performamce. If the UBC125XLT can be setup for 25 khz channel spacing it would do well searching, otherwise it's going to be slowed down. Of course that does not affect scanning programmed channels. Trying to search mil air with one scanner that does 25khz spacing is still slow. When I am serious about search activity I use the BCT15X, BCD396XT and both Pro-164s feed with an RF distribution amplifier connected to a homebrew VHF/UHF air band antenna. The BCD396XT is usually used for 137-144MHz
and 148-150.8 MHz. If you are not looking for mil air in those 2 VHF segments you are missing a lot. Personallyy I wouldn't pay the huge premium for a UBC125XLT. It's partly why I got the BCD325P2. I mainly use the SDS100 due to simulcast with local public safety, but use the BCD325P2 for NC Highway Patrol on Viper trunked system when things get busy.

Last edited:

GROL

my Radio Shack Pro-43 is an excellent military and civilian handheld aviation scanner.
Yep. A very fine radio. Good luck finding a good copy of a Pro-43 these days. Pro-164 is much more recent about 10 or 12 years ago. I think the Pro-164 edges out the 43 as it receives at least as well with text labeling of channels and PC programmable. Both made by GRE. I bought a Pro-164 new and then a couple years later I bought another used on eBay. Still plenty on eBay with some in great condition for around $100.00.

Last edited: