Using a Vertex Standard VDX-720

Status
Not open for further replies.

wh0a

So digging through my brothers garage he had a Vertex Standard vxd-720 and was wondering if I could use it as a police scanner to listen to different frequencies. sorry I'm new to this and really only listen to my iphone police scanner app.

Thanks for the advice .

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
The VDX-720 is a conventional analog FM business radio that could be either VHF or UHF, depending on the specific model. It is not a wide-band receiver as are most scanners. AFAIK, it is also not keyboard programmable, which means that you would need the necessary programming software and a compatible programming cable to program frequencies into it. It is also not capable of following trunked radio systems, which are used by many public safety agencies.

If your local services use conventional FM radio systems, you might be able to listen... if they operate in the same frequency band and you can get the radio programmed properly. But you might be better off trying to sell this radio (it seems to be a quality business radio) and buy yourself a real scanner.

John

wh0a

The VDX-720 is a conventional analog FM business radio that could be either VHF or UHF, depending on the specific model. It is not a wide-band receiver as are most scanners. AFAIK, it is also not keyboard programmable, which means that you would need the necessary programming software and a compatible programming cable to program frequencies into it. It is also not capable of following trunked radio systems, which are used by many public safety agencies.

If your local services use conventional FM radio systems, you might be able to listen... if they operate in the same frequency band and you can get the radio programmed properly. But you might be better off trying to sell this radio (it seems to be a quality business radio) and buy yourself a real scanner.

John

Dang thanks for the information!

Status
Not open for further replies.