Using Amateur radio in State Guard disaster drills

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB8QDM

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. In all my years in the military, I never heard of these. I would figure that I would have heard about them, at the least, during my time with the National Guard.

Time for some research, on my part.

Even Michigan has one. Michigan Volunteer Defense Force (MIVDF). They were active for a while, then disbanded/disestablished for a time, and made a resurgence a few years ago.

kc5uta

The TXSG has a strong regimen of using red cross training and the MEMS training system. What I think is cool is that on two different buildings they have an HF setup for MARS, and of course the regular bands if needed. MARS. Even has some really nice Mobile comm trailers with hydraulic mast and a few other bells and whistles. Really cool but MARS is a bit too work intensive in its commitments to operate, I just didn't have the time to devote. Our motto for our company is "Prepare for the worst... Hope for the best".

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Arizona is attempting to establish a state militia, and it seems that most of the objectors believe that it'll end up being staffed by rednecks and racists. They don't understand the difference between a state militia & a so-called constitutional militia.

kc5uta

State Guard Az.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Arizona is attempting to establish a state militia, and it seems that most of the objectors believe that it'll end up being staffed by rednecks and racists. They don't understand the difference between a state militia & a so-called constitutional militia.

What a shame. They could really be an asset, in disasters, such as flash flood in your case or fires. But our training also includes medical response to terrorist events, we also train for "PODS" or points of distribution, for emergency supplies...the list could go on for a "While". Best part is, that all members in our "little" group have some input as to what to train on. I'm getting off subject though...hihi. I DID forward the FCC opinion document to my C.O. Thanks for all the help "guys" .......Dave KC5UTA

KB7MIB

i agree that they'd be an asset to the state. It may be that one big reason people think it'll be filled with rednecks and racists is that the governor wants to use them to help patrol the border. Of course, illegal immigration is an emotional issue here.

kc5uta

i agree that they'd be an asset to the state. It may be that one big reason people think it'll be filled with rednecks and racists is that the governor wants to use them to help patrol the border. Of course, illegal immigration is an emotional issue here.

Yeah.....that would be a hindrance in getting it accepted as a "legit" entity -vs- good ole boys "hater" society.

KB7MIB

The only valid objection that I've seen is, "where is the money to pay for it going to come from, and couldn't that money be put to better use in other programs, such as education?" But we'll see how it goes.

Cowthief

Hello.

Yes, the state guard has dedicated government frequencies.
And, 440 is indeed available, it is US government primary.
60 meters anyone? this is another government primary band.
And, secret callsigns?
I better be careful, somebody might figure out that I am KA5PIU!
Never mind that I transmit this in the clear.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Rudy, we figured out your APU equipped pink Bell 47 helicopter with detachable cow catcher long ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.