Using android tablet as a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpocket

Premium Subscriber
So, I have a couple of questions. I have an android tablet with USB OTG capabilities, and I have an RTL-SDR dongle. I've set it up using SDR touch, and it is working properly. My question is, has anyone had any experience with scanning on android (not using a police scanner app to find streaming feeds, but to actually use the tablet as an SDR reciever), and does anyone know if you can trunk with it?

br0adband

As I've stated before in related posts, I'm confident that today's Android powered devices - whether it's a smartphone or a tablet form factor - are more than capable of acting like scanners when coupled with an OTG USB device of some kind (RTL-sticks, or even Airspy or SDRplay) but it requires the software to do it and that's where things just fall apart. SDR Touch is still the only known app out there even now that couples an RTL-stick (or an Airspy or SDRplay, again) with an Android device for at least the bare minimal functionality meaning tuning in a single frequency across the multiple modes (AM/SSB/NFM/WFM/etc) and allowing for some adjustments (gain, PPM, bandwidth filters, etc) as well as saving some of the tuned frequencies in memory slots.

Does it work like a scanner? Nope, at least not in its present form and probably never will. I've made multiple attempts to reach the developer of SDR Touch over the past 6 months to ask about possible additions and updates but he's never responded to my emails even once, I know he went to work for Amazon in their I.T. infrastructure division so maybe he's just really that busy and can't offer any information or updates anymore I don't know. I still haven't actually purchased SDR Touch myself and I won't until I hear something from him, if ever, because I want to know if he's going to continue development or has just walked away from it for various reasons (too busy, not enough interest, whatever).

As for trunking, well, since you already know what SDR Touch can and can't do it's obvious it doesn't support trunking but again that's in the present form. I believe that Android devices are capable of handling that capability but again it's all about the software and there just doesn't seem to be anybody with that level of coding talent that is interested in creating a truly useful "scanning app" that can be used to do all that, including adding possible DSD-like capabilities to decode the digital modes as well.

I really wish I had that kind of talent, never been a coder to any degree - sure I could do B.A.S.I.C. programming very well decades ago in the late 70's/early 80's but I simply lack the skills necessary to be able to do anything nowadays with Android and ARM architecture and all the necessary underpinnings to produce a working app to any degrees.

But I really believe it's possible, I just wish I could track someone down that would be willing to get involved and make it happen. If such a thing did get produced I can assure you there would be a ton of interest in the monitoring community and people - myself included - wouldn't have any issues dropping some cash for such a tool. I even came up with a design for a casing that could mount an RTL-based board (basically the insides of an RTL-stick) with a battery and provide for a telescopic whip antenna as well or perhaps just putting an SMA mount on the casing so it would just require adding the Android device (a smartphone basically) and voila, instant Android powered physical scanner, so to speak. :)

Downside is it would probably just use one particular device, like a Nexus 5 or perhaps a OnePlus One (my current device) or something similar and wouldn't be capable of mass production for every single Android device out there since that just wouldn't be possible. I'm sure using a 3D printer one could probably get the design specs and dimensions of most any phone ever made then produce a custom made casing for each of them but that's another aspect that' just out of my reach.

The possibilities are there, and nearly endless, we as a community at this time just don't have anyone that's stepped up to make something like this happen. I would if I could, seriously, because I really do believe it's possible and would have a serious amount of interest behind it but I suppose it's just a proverbial pipe-dream for the foreseeable future.

Miracles happen, however, so who knows. ;)

br0adband

Yah, but that's not an Android tablet, it's a Windows-based tablet and not the Windows RT thing that requires ARM architecture, it's a real x86-based tablet running desktop Windows so it can run SDR#. So while there's a lot more possible with a real x86-based tablet running Windows, it's still not going to be exactly like a physical scanner (yes I say that a lot, I know) which is what some people - myself included - are hoping for someday: software on a smartphone or tablet that can basically emulate a physical scanner and do everything in just the one app without requiring several of them to get even one function done in a simple or at least simpler manner than what we have to work with at the present time.

hotpocket

Premium Subscriber
what if I were to install aDosBox, and put Trunk88 (which natively runs on DOS) on the tablet. then use Trunk88 to track it. Could that possibly work?

hotpocket

Premium Subscriber
you know where i can find the originwal dos version, just so I can see if this is even possible?

hfflunki

i use my tablet as a scanner esclusivly i use the the usmile hack hf with sdr touch and a 35 dollar sma mag mount procom scanner antenna for highend and a 9:1 balun with 19 ft of wir hf. works like a carm i use the two antenna
out its 66 bucks on amazon right now . the ppm correct is 15

have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.