• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Using att EPTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
Does anyone have experience using ATT EPTT services and what kind of devices does it use? I am looking at upgrading our current fleet of 60 Iphone 5C phones on our current ATT plan to add PTT for better fleet management as well as on touch communications.

We currently use SimpleMDM for fleet management as well as app integration as we have our own app developers.

Is this something that will work for what i am looking for?

Being spread in the 5 boros as well as northern NJ, radio infrastructure will not work.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I've used it with Sonim and Kyocera handsets with the PTT buttons on the side. I'm not a fan of it due to the latency (~2100 ms). However, if there is no airtime system to lease time on and/or you need nationwide coverage, it's a cost effective solution.

Big note, if your people are used to iPhones, they will do nothing but cuss the Kyocera and Sonim handsets. Actual phone integration is extremely poor. I actually upgraded my personal phone from an iPhone 5S to a 6S because those two phones deterred me from android that much (I'd rather have an android tablet though…go figure).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I have used a Sonim handset for a few days(I am issued a corporate phone)... hated it. The Sonim has no provision for external memory(no micro SD) and it has some odd USB cable. That alone was a deal breaker for me.

The kicker? I went to it from a Samsung Rugby and quickly went back to the Rugby. I HATE my Rugby as well. Under powered, very short on both RAM and flash memory. Now that I have used this phone for 3 years, the battery won't make it a full day of moderate use.

It struggles to just be a phone, and needs to be battery pulled almost daily.
It can barely run apps like Tapatalk(using it now to type this), Messenger, its Browser or the 3 internal, corporate apps my company uses. All three utilize the GNSS receiver, and 1 uses both the GNSS receiver and the camera.

At some point in the next month-ish my phone will be replaced. The manager that is in chardge of our phones had decided we are getting iPhone 7. I cant wait.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
That's a downer. We are currently using slack messenger on pc and apps for android and iOS, as well as using iOS to support our internal apps. I did a safety audit and we are currently using to much time migrating from the floor to computers and back again without any real form on instant communication. Leasing space from a radio company is out of the question, so I thought about just getting 20 MURS radios for the warehouse and lot operations, but we still have the issue of communicating to the other 40 trucks. We usually deploy 20-25 trucks daily, and 15 warehouse personal and myself for safety over site. Our night time ops run into Edison, NJ from Red hook, Brooklyn.
So I thought about rolling out EPTT for all that.
They made it look so fancy on the ATT site. They seem to offer some type of fleet management software. But we currently use fleetmatics for real time fleet management.
I miss the good old days of a rugged Nextel.

I also had the thought of using Zello but I find it's instability and it's hang time, staying always on in the background for a prolonged time) wasn't working. Plus you can barely hear it driving a 26ft truck on the BQE.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
iDEN was fantastic, and had a place for wide area comms. I was an iDEN customer here in Alberta. Worked great, PTT setup was quick, even when DC a Nextel customer in Florida from Alberta. It was quick and consistent. The down side was data was SLOW. Sadly iDEN is gone, and would have been exactly the type of service you needed.

Project25_MASTR

One of my friend's is a MR and has a new product coming down the pipe. It's a mobile LTE radio and I believe Nextel is behind it. I would assume is runs some form of Android so one can use their PTT app of choice but features the important things required in a mobile…like a 10+ W audio amplifier. Don't have many details on it yet…

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
I heard that too. Someone bought up the old NEXTEL name and are deploying radios (really a cell modem in a radio form factor). I listened to an engineering sample and other than long boot times (due to how it was looking for the cell network), it seemed like a serious contender. I do not know who is making them, but I have a sales contact if anyone is interested. TT

Project25_MASTR

I heard that too. Someone bought up the old NEXTEL name and are deploying radios (really a cell modem in a radio form factor). I listened to an engineering sample and other than long boot times (due to how it was looking for the cell network), it seemed like a serious contender. I do not know who is making them, but I have a sales contact if anyone is interested. TT

Found out a little more info. They are buying airtime at wholesale from AT&T…so it could lead to a potential problem there if it gets large enough. Stands a very good chance at putting the SMR guys out of business though since they are within $10 pricewise. Anything is better than this setup though.

8hbLdrG.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.