• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Using business frequencies on a repeater

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Trying to justify portable repeaters is a very hard thing to get done.
Especially on itinerate channels!

I have a mobile vehicular repeater that can cross-band and in-band to licensed repeaters. The vehicular repeater runs in simplex so the portables don’t need to do anything special to use it. If it leaves the scene, the portables still all work together, but without the link to the larger system. That’s just licensed MO6 (mobiles only private carrier) and is hardwired to the XG100M, which either cross-bands to the trunking network, or in-bands to an FB6 repeater.

Unless everyone in your party gets a ham ticket or you install a lot of commercial infrastructure and license accordingly, you’re not gonna be able to cross band.

GMRS sounds like the best fit for you. It allows the family to use your license. It allows repeaters and higher power mobiles, and you can use it for non-business related comms.

-B

Martin737

A duplexer is tuned to notch out the TX freq from the receiver input and notch the RX freq from the transmitter port.
Higher end units have much better blocking capacity on either side of the desired frequency than lower ones. A mobile duplexer usually just notches out freqs, one for a fixed repeater will also pass the desired freq to the TX or RX port on the radio.

Think of a 6" high doggy door allowing your dachshund through but blocking a great dane vs a 3' high door which passes damn near anything.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

Martin737

GMRS sounds like the best fit for you. It allows the family to use your license. It allows repeaters and higher power mobiles, and you can use it for non-business related comms.

Thank you B. I agree GMRS is the best path for us. I paid the $35 yesterday for the license. I'm planning to try out the Retevis repeater and go from there. Our needs are pretty basic so I think it will be sufficient. We'll find out.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.
This is why a lot of dual band ham radios do cross band repeat but none of them do in-band (traditional repeating). Since the mobile radio is transmitting on one band to talk with a repeater and receiving your portable communications on the other band, no filtering is necessary.

That’s great about the GMRS license! I happened to buy mine during the period where the FCC decided it should cost $70. Glad they cut that crap out! It really is better than having an itinerate commercial channel I think… Itinerates are also shared channels and you don’t have the same abilities as you do on GMRS as far as repeaters and subject of the comms. They also grant GMRS licenses pretty quickly (normally less than a week barring any holidays), where you may need to wait a month or so for a commercial license to be granted or modified.

-Brian

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I used the RT97 on my motorhome for a couple of years. I ran the Laird FG4500 with 15' of LMR400. IT would normally cover the campground I was at. I used it at a few NASCAR tracks and worked very well were I would of thought more folks would be using FRS but never had issues. Add in some quality handhelds and its a perfect small use setup as you describe.

Martin737

I used the RT97 on my motorhome for a couple of years. I ran the Laird FG4500 with 15' of LMR400. IT would normally cover the campground I was at. I used it at a few NASCAR tracks and worked very well were I would of thought more folks would be using FRS but never had issues. Add in some quality handhelds and its a perfect small use setup as you describe.

Excellent. That's great to hear. For the low price of the RT97 I think it's at least worth a try for our situation.