Using DSD+ to monitor conventional NXDN/NexEdge system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacky1mcc

After a long search through the forums and internet along with a lot of trial and error I am looking for some guidance on the setup of DSD+ to monitor and scan several NXDN/NexEdge conventional channels/frequencies. Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jacky1mcc

I forgot to include that I am able to monitor and decode a NXDN/NexEdge trunked system.
I have to SDR dongles.
1- NooElec NESDR Smart v4 SDR - Premium RTL-SDR w/Aluminum Enclosure, 0.5PPM TCXO, SMA Input. RTL2832U & R820T2-Based Software Defined Radio - Purchased Feb. 2020
1- Mini USB RTL-SDR & ADS-B Receiver Set, RTL2832U & R820T Tuner, MCX Input - Manufacturer unknown purchased 2015?

LimaZulu

So, what's your question exactly? Obviously you have the hardware, you know how to use the software. I honestly don't get it :|

ScubaJungle

There is not really any reliable way to make it work properly with DSDPlus that I know of
THe only way I can think of, is to add it into the frequencies file as a trunked system, and it *may* scan the frequencies until it finds an active one. Im not sure if that would work though, and other than that, you will just have to select each frequency by hand when you see them active

jacky1mcc

There is not really any reliable way to make it work properly with DSDPlus that I know of
THe only way I can think of, is to add it into the frequencies file as a trunked system, and it *may* scan the frequencies until it finds an active one. Im not sure if that would work though, and other than that, you will just have to select each frequency by hand when you see them active
Is there other software that you would suggest for this effort?

jacky1mcc

So, what's your question exactly? Obviously you have the hardware, you know how to use the software. I honestly don't get it :|
I have several conventional NXDN channels to monitor. I can receive each channel by entering by hand but at no time is any audio decoded. I can receive and decode a NXDN trunked system with good audio. I would like the DSD+ software to scan the frequencies and decode the audio.

ScubaJungle

So it is not even decoding the audio?
The issue is that with conventional systems (non-trunked), there is no control channel to tell DSD where to jump. So, you should be hearing the audio fine on the frequency you are parked on, but as far as being able to monitor 5 conventional frequencies at once, I dont think that is possible with DSD. You can try entering them as a trunked system in the .frequencies file, and see if it just jumps around until it finds an active channel

Edit: Theres a NXDN conventional system that Ive been monitoring for DB updates - there are like 10 frequencies, but I can only monitor one at a time, since it isnt trunked and DSD doesnt have any info to jump to active channels nor a scan function. The only possibility is setting it up as a trunked system, but I dont know if that would work considering there is no LCN or other needed info.

racingfan360

jack1mcc: it might be best if you post some screenshots of what you are getting. I monitor conventional NXDN channels just fine with what sounds like a similar setup. Remember you can scan several but only monitor one channel at a time with each RTL-SDR.

Is the channel showing as scrambled?

Have you entered the right NXDN format (NX48 or NX96) in FMP24ScanList? Should look a bit like this:
165.0000 NX48 DELAY=3 Test1
166.0000 NX96 DELAY=3 Test2
167.0000 NX48 DELAY=3 Test3

slicerwizard

Of course there is. The OP just needs to create an FMP24.ScanList file and then tell FMP24 to scan (by pressing S in FMP24).

However, if the OP isn't hearing voice traffic when he manually tunes to a conventional channel that's currently carrying a non-encrypted voice call, that needs to be addressed. Not sure what menu settings could cause that.

ScubaJungle

Of course there is. The OP just needs to create an FMP24.ScanList file and then tell FMP24 to scan (by pressing S in FMP24).

However, if the OP isn't hearing voice traffic when he manually tunes to a conventional channel that's currently carrying a non-encrypted voice call, that needs to be addressed. Not sure what menu settings could cause that.
I dont have this file, wow. This wouldve helped me so much - does anyone mind uploading a sample version? I tried saving a notepad file as .scanlist but it doesnt seem to work

cg

Premium Subscriber
When you save the Notepad file, do not save it as a ".txt" file type but save it as a "all files" type.
The info is in your Notes file, simply search it for Scanlist

slicerwizard

IIRC, the docs say something like use Notepad to create/edit the file. Save as "FMP24.ScanList" (with the quotes!)

Again, IIRC, scan lists are covered in the FMP.txt file and enhancements are found in Notes.txt.

ScubaJungle

I got it successfully working - follow as slicerwizard and cg said, and save it as "FMP24.scanlist" - and in this format:
Frequency Mode Text Tag
ex:
153.8225 NEXEDGE48 Levy

scanning

FMP can (slowly) scan frequencies

a frequency list, one frequency per line, should be placed in a file
named FMP.ScanList

the format of each line is:

frequency mode description

example:

450.1250 TIII Acme Radio

frequency is in MHz

mode text controls bandpass filter selection

4 kHz modes:

D-STAR
DSTAR
IDAS
NX48
NEXEDGE48

7 kHz modes:

DMR
TRBO
Cap+
Con+
TIII

9.5 kHz modes:

NXDN
NEXEDGE
NEXEDGE96
NX96
P25

12.5 kHz modes

PV
ProVoice
any other text string (analog, LTR, ...)

blank lines in the file are ignored

processing of the FMP.ScanList file stops if a line containing
the string <EOF> is found; frequency entries that you don't want
to scan can be stored in the file after the <EOF> line

pressing S starts scanner mode

pressing Esc exits scanner mode

no other scanning commands (Hold, L/O, etc.) are presently implemented

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
jack1mcc: it might be best if you post some screenshots of what you are getting. I monitor conventional NXDN channels just fine with what sounds like a similar setup. Remember you can scan several but only monitor one channel at a time with each RTL-SDR.

Is the channel showing as scrambled?

Have you entered the right NXDN format (NX48 or NX96) in FMP24ScanList? Should look a bit like this:
165.0000 NX48 DELAY=3 Test1
166.0000 NX96 DELAY=3 Test2
167.0000 NX48 DELAY=3 Test3

@jhampton2000 is this the proper format for a scanlist in DSDPlus ?

cg

Premium Subscriber
If you aren't sure of the format, it takes less than a minute to try it and edit it if it doesn't work. It would take longer to try to get an answer online.
Any of the lines in DSDPlus files can be edited to be ignored by putting a semicolon in front of the line.

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.