Using EZScan with the RS Pro-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostnFound

Premium Subscriber
So I've been playing around with my new Pro-18 and having no luck being a CDN using the included software iScan, not only is it older and version 1.02 but has no CDN channels so I downloaded the PSR-800 EZScan software and didn't have luck with yesterday but today I did.

So here is what I did, first I put a brand new 16GB micro CD card in it's reader, not the scanner.

With the Radio Shack software iScan (included with Pro-18, ver 1.02)
1) With iScan software I formatted a new 16GB micro card.

With Gre America's software EZScan (included with PSR-800, ver 1.05)
--------------------------------------------------

2) I did all the normal library updates and such, importing of channels to certain scanner lists 1-5 for now.
3) I then copied the configuration over to the SD card, then copied library over.
3) In Windows Explorer I went into the Playlist folder (CDAT), and removed playlists 6-154. (Why you may ask? The Pro-18 only has 100 playlists, compared to the PSR-800, which has 200 factory playlists, remember I'm using it's software.)

Finally
--------

4) Inserted newly created SD card into the Pro-18, it took a bit longer on start-up cause it had to initialize a much larger SD card but once up and running I quickly noticed the Playlists were now called Scanlist, which is one difference between just naming conventions on the 2 different devices but it just goes to show how Object Oriented handheld scanners have this commonality with programming. Anyway I quickly started receiving OPP, Ford Motor Company, all kinds of chatter.

So now I can go in and start renaming my Scanlists now that I know it works with EZScan.

Disclaimer: Please use these instructions at your own discretion, not responsible for any issues you may encounter trying this on your own, remember to do a complete backup prior to testing or use a completely different micro card.

LostnFound

Premium Subscriber
Update**

So everything been working well using Gre's software to update both CDN and USA libraries however did come up against a particular issue. Activating Skywarn, causes the unit to error out and displays a message to call RS with the error code, in fact its completely locked out, only battery removal enables use again. I did program Skywarn freqs in Gre's ver 1.05 so I have to check the difference between the 2 softwares, Gre did tell me ver.1.03 is more compatible because there was a change in ver. 1.05 and this may very well be change.

The only other thing I have noticed is the Low Battery indicator does not seem to work, and it did previously to programming with Gre's software, the device just quits when battery is low. So a few quirks but I'll work them out.

LostnFound

Premium Subscriber
Received my RS 800mHz antenna yesterday, going to test within that freq. It definitely does not compare to the Diamond 519, as you would expect, different range.

LostnFound

Premium Subscriber
Just an update on the RS 800 Mhz antenna. So far I have not found there to be any advantage over the Diamond RH-519. I have not seen any increase in clarity, distance etc. The 519 is if not just as good, better since it covers a much broader range. I was already receiving the 800 range quite well and wanted to try this specific freq, range antenna, but not impressed.

For my area the Diamond 519 works well for a walk around antenna.

JustLou

I use Diamond 519's on my Pro-18 and other scanners too. IMO, it's the best antenna for its size. I also have the RS 800 MHz antenna. It's a good 800MHz antenna, but IMO not nearly as great as some make it out to be. It also performs decently on UHF, but it's only fair at best on VHF.

zerickk

Premium Subscriber
So I've been playing around with my new Pro-18 and having no luck being a CDN using the included software iScan, not only is it older and version 1.02 but has no CDN channels so I downloaded the PSR-800 EZScan software and didn't have luck with yesterday but today I did.

So here is what I did, first I put a brand new 16GB micro CD card in it's reader, not the scanner.

With the Radio Shack software iScan (included with Pro-18, ver 1.02)
1) With iScan software I formatted a new 16GB micro card.

With Gre America's software EZScan (included with PSR-800, ver 1.05)
--------------------------------------------------

2) I did all the normal library updates and such, importing of channels to certain scanner lists 1-5 for now.
3) I then copied the configuration over to the SD card, then copied library over.
3) In Windows Explorer I went into the Playlist folder (CDAT), and removed playlists 6-154. (Why you may ask? The Pro-18 only has 100 playlists, compared to the PSR-800, which has 200 factory playlists, remember I'm using it's software.)

Finally
--------

4) Inserted newly created SD card into the Pro-18, it took a bit longer on start-up cause it had to initialize a much larger SD card but once up and running I quickly noticed the Playlists were now called Scanlist, which is one difference between just naming conventions on the 2 different devices but it just goes to show how Object Oriented handheld scanners have this commonality with programming. Anyway I quickly started receiving OPP, Ford Motor Company, all kinds of chatter.

So now I can go in and start renaming my Scanlists now that I know it works with EZScan.

Disclaimer: Please use these instructions at your own discretion, not responsible for any issues you may encounter trying this on your own, remember to do a complete backup prior to testing or use a completely different micro card.

I know this is an old thread, but I joined RR to thank you for this post. It helped me a lot as I am also in Canada.

I do have a question though, did this add the Canadian library to your scanner so you could select from the menu similar to the USA? I can program Canadian frequencies on the PC using the GRE softwar enow, but the Canadian Library doesnt display on my PRO-18 like it does from the factory on the PSR-800

Status
Not open for further replies.