Using harmonics for a single antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

TickingMind

Hello all
I've been using a VHF quarter wave antenna to monitor weather and a local business that I run at 156 MHz and have found that the third harmonic of the vhf is about 465 MHz which is around the GMRS band. I'm stuck using the quarter wave because I need the high vertical beamwidth to get to the upper areas of the mountains that are around me. Should I wish to also monitor GMRS for jobsites would the same vertical beamwidth apply or is there a different formula or method of determining this?
Your thoughts are much appreciated!
TM

N9JIG

Sheriff
A VHF 1/4 wave whip actually has worked well for me on UHF and 800. I have used them for years on my vehicles and still use them today for both my mobile scanners.

Scanners are much more forgiving when it comes to antennas, close enough is usually good enough. The actual antenna itself is often less important than its location and feedline. A good quality mount and coax with a lowly metal rod (otherwise known as a 1/4 wave whip) cut for VHF will usually work better on UHF than an antenna actually cut for UHF with poor coax or mounted inside.

The diameter of the whip itself will affect the bell curve for SWR purposes on transmitters but has much less effect on a scanner.

The best advise is to try it and see if it provides sufficient results, if not try something else.

TickingMind

A VHF 1/4 wave whip actually has worked well for me on UHF and 800. I have used them for years on my vehicles and still use them today for both my mobile scanners.

Scanners are much more forgiving when it comes to antennas, close enough is usually good enough. The actual antenna itself is often less important than its location and feedline. A good quality mount and coax with a lowly metal rod (otherwise known as a 1/4 wave whip) cut for VHF will usually work better on UHF than an antenna actually cut for UHF
Yes I would have expected as much and it's worth the effort to test it, for sure. UHF has issues in valleys and forested areas that lower bands seem to overcome and I guess I am asking for the "best" of both worlds.
Kind regards!!
TM

Status
Not open for further replies.