Using Honda Hybrid for emergency power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smcatee

Using Honda Hybrid for emergency power.
We have a 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring and I would like to determine if the power pack under the back seat can be used for emergency power.
It is not clear if there is a connection between the starting battery and the power pack. That is unlikely.
I have asked at the local Honda shop with no response.
There have been articles about the Toyota Prius being used for emergency power but I have not seen any for the Accord.
Thanks in advance.
Steve NØJJO

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I think you're referring to the traction battery (the one that drives the wheels). I know on the Prius, there's no connection and I would assume no other hybrids do that either. The voltages are significantly different.

I'm not sure I'd use the traction battery for anything other than what it's designed for. Replacing them is costly and a small generator is much more affordable and useful.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The traction batteries are usually 300 volts or higher. I've heard of people tapping into the connection and stepping it down, but it seems like there would be easier ways to get 12 volts or 110 volts AC.

Usually the 'starting battery' is small and generally used for running accessories and the relays. On my wife's Ford Hybrid, the starting is actually done by the high voltage battery using the traction motor.

K9DWB

QRT
While it's possible to be done if given the right info and equipment, that doesn't mean you should do it. I'd rather use a stand alone generator myself.

belvdr

On my wife's Ford Hybrid, the starting is actually done by the high voltage battery using the traction motor.
I'm curious how that works with automatic or CVT transmissions. Obviously, the starter battery works when stopped or first starting the system, if required.

EDIT: Nevermind, my search capabilities just came back. :) Apparently the Prius doesn't have a 12 volt battery at all and only uses the traction battery. Learned something new!

Last edited:

smcatee

This does not sound very promising and it would be better to use a generator.
Thanks for the responses.

n5ims

Now, if you're looking for a new vehicle to use as a generator, the 2021 Ford F-150 can be gotten with a built-in generator. There are 3 models, 2 KW, 2.4 KW, or 7.2 KW (they are engine dependent). The 2.4 and 7.2 KW versions require the new hybrid version of the F-150.

belvdr

Now, if you're looking for a new vehicle to use as a generator, the 2021 Ford F-150 can be gotten with a built-in generator. There are 3 models, 2 KW, 2.4 KW, or 7.2 KW (they are engine dependent). The 2.4 and 7.2 KW versions require the new hybrid version of the F-150.

Nifty idea. Shame I don't trust their engineering. :ROFLMAO:

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
You probably need to know what type of AC motor your hybrid has: the permanent magnet type, the three-phase induction type, or the multi-phase (greater than three) induction type.

K9DWB

QRT
Well look at it like this, the hybrid F150 and a Prius are probably the only emergency generators you can drive to work in too. Include other hybrids too.

Status
Not open for further replies.