• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Using HT as a repeater question

Not open for further replies.


Mar 12, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm completely new to the hobby, besides Walmart Walkie Talkies. I'm planning to continue to research, get my license, and take part in the sport.

After researching, watching youtube videos, and looking at different radios, I've come up with a hypothetical scenario that I haven't been able to figure out myself yet.

Say I'm using 3 HT's, a scanner/receiver for one channel only, and 2 frequencies.

HT 1 is a Baofeng UV-82 with dual PTT buttons and dual watch or receive
HT 2 is a TYT UV8000E with repeater capability
HT 3 is any UHF radio that can transmit and receive on only one frequency
RX 4 is a UHF receiver programmed to one UHF frequency

Frequency A can be any UHF frequency so let's say 467.5500
Frequency B can also be any UHF frequency so let's say 462.5500

RX 4 can only receive on frequency B
HT 3 can only receive and transmit on frequency A
HT 2 is set up to be a repeater and has frequency B as its input and frequency A as its output
HT 1 is set up to transmit on frequency A when PTT A is pushed and frequency B when PTT B is pushed

So in this scenario if HT1 transmits on frequency A; then HT3 will receive the transmission, HT2 will not (and therefore not do anything), and RX4 will also not receive anything. Correct?

But if HT1 transmits on frequency B; then immediately RX4 will receive the transmission, HT2 will receive the transmission and repeat it out onto frequency A, therefore HT3 will also receive the transmission.

My question is if HT3 transmits on frequency A; HT1 will receive it, but will HT2 (repeater) receive the transmission from frequency A and repeat it on frequency B allowing RX4 to receive it?

Basically I want HT1 to be able to talk to HT3 securely without RX4 hearing, HT3 to talk to HT1 securely, and also HT1 to be able to talk to HT3 AND RX4 at the same time. Is there a better way of doing this.

Thanks everyone,


Jan 26, 2016
"Your statement "HT 2 is set up to be a repeater and has frequency B as its input and frequency A as its output" is not possible in your example as the TYT UV8000E is a "CROSS BAND" repeater only.
This means that one of the frequencies must be in the VHF band, and the other frequency must be in the UHF band. This is legal to do if you have a Ham license, but not if you have only a GMRS license.

Not open for further replies.