R8600 Using IC-R8600 with Latest SDR#

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I'm surprised this doesn't show up here at this point; maybe I missed it.

The IC-R8600 will work just fine with the latest version of SDR#. There is a plug-in available that re-creates the ExtIO interface for SDR#. It can be downloaded here: MeteorGIS.space - Downloads

Within the .zip file (use version 1.1) there is a file named SDRSharp.USRP.dll. Copy it into the folder you run SDR# from.

Then download the "USB I/Q Package for HDSDR" located at this link: IC-R8600 | Firmware / Software | Support | Icom Inc. Make sure the ExtIO_ICR8600.dll file is also in the SDR# folder.

Run SDR#. Select UHD / USRP in the Source drop-down menu at the top left. If you have more than one ExtIO.dll in the SDR# folder it will prompt you for which one to load. If the ExtIO_ICR8600.dll file is the only one you should be ready to go. Click the play button, adjust screen to your liking and off you go. As with HDSDR this eliminates any front panel control of the IC-R8600.

Limitation: The ExtIO settings for the 8600 used in conjunction with SDR# doesn't seem to allow anything less than a 5 MHz window which is kind of frustrating but maybe that will be addressed if there is a future release.

I know there are those who will say that you're turning your $2300 receiver into a "dongle", but I am learning to embrace the fact that there are many different ways to utilize this receiver. If you enjoy SDR# you may want to try this out. It does of course give you another option to receive DMR via the IC-R8600 receiver when SDR# is used along with DSD+.

KC1UA

Database Admin
Just a guess....but are you doing this to decode DMR?

Actually no. I'm doing it to see the spectrum display on a large screen, primarily. It is just another way of doing so and as it appeared undocumented to this point I posted it. It was possible with an old edition of SDR# but now it is with the newest version.

As to DMR it is available as a result of doing this, but not the primary reason. For that I also use SDR# but via the 12KHz IF output of the built in USB sound card. That works nicely too and does not take away the actual radio controls.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
I'm surprised this doesn't show up here at this point; maybe I missed it.

The IC-R8600 will work just fine with the latest version of SDR#. There is a plug-in available that re-creates the ExtIO interface for SDR#. It can be downloaded here: MeteorGIS.space - Downloads

Within the .zip file (use version 1.1) there is a file named SDRSharp.USRP.dll. Copy it into the folder you run SDR# from.

Then download the "USB I/Q Package for HDSDR" located at this link: IC-R8600 | Firmware / Software | Support | Icom Inc. Make sure the ExtIO_ICR8600.dll file is also in the SDR# folder.

Run SDR#. Select UHD / USRP in the Source drop-down menu at the top left. If you have more than one ExtIO.dll in the SDR# folder it will prompt you for which one to load. If the ExtIO_ICR8600.dll file is the only one you should be ready to go. Click the play button, adjust screen to your liking and off you go. As with HDSDR this eliminates any front panel control of the IC-R8600.

Limitation: The ExtIO settings for the 8600 used in conjunction with SDR# doesn't seem to allow anything less than a 5 MHz window which is kind of frustrating but maybe that will be addressed if there is a future release.

I know there are those who will say that you're turning your $2300 receiver into a "dongle", but I am learning to embrace the fact that there are many different ways to utilize this receiver. If you enjoy SDR# you may want to try this out. It does of course give you another option to receive DMR via the IC-R8600 receiver when SDR# is used along with DSD+.
Thanks for this.

grosminet

I did a notification on the french radio forum TSF70 . There was an EXTIO plug in that allow native support of EXTIO device like ettus, limesdr, plutoSDR with SDR 1732 . It is working fine especially with TETRA decoder settings . I think french SDR# developper has read my comment . EXTIO is still working with last 1740,41,42 but TETRA plug in isn't working anymore.
EXTIO plug in can be find here :
Just copy EXTIO plug in in the directory
As explain, choose USRP SDR and then choose EXTIO .

I have the limitation of 2000 MHz with this plug in and I didn't find yet how to extend

I hope ICOM will release a Linux version of icr 8600 compatible with gnuradio (soapy or osmocom)

KC1UA

Database Admin
As a follow-up to this thread, it is likely that the use of the IC-R8600 using this .dll with SDR# is "not legal". There are a few threads in the Groups IO SDR# group regarding this. If you wish to use it you should probably consider this and continue at your own risk.

Hopefully at some point a legal solution can be reached. Using the IC-R8600 with SDR# is a great combination, and I'm disappointed to see that option go.

Thread at this website: SDR# - JUST STOP!

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I get the impression that even if there were a legal way, the SDR# folks would just change things up in a future release so it will not work.

73 Eric

rumcajs_tr

Strange :-( I thought that SDR# folks were "fighting" againts other competition on the same level (SDRPlay, etc...). The R8600 is absolutely not at the same level = no competition. I myself own two Airspy (one r0 and the other r2) and at the same time own R8600. And buying R8600 didn´t prevent me from buying Airspy :)

KC1UA

Database Admin
Strange :-( I thought that SDR# folks were "fighting" againts other competition on the same level (SDRPlay, etc...). The R8600 is absolutely not at the same level = no competition. I myself own two Airspy (one r0 and the other r2) and at the same time own R8600. And buying R8600 didn´t prevent me from buying Airspy :)

This is exactly what I was going to follow up with this morning. I have several Airspy devices and I think they are great, but they are NOT an Icom IC-R8600. The original issue, or so I thought, was as you say directly to do with SDRPlay devices and perhaps other "in-class" SDR's. The fact that I would like to use my $2200 receiver with SDR# software speaks volumes to how well that software works, or so I think. Sadly it is not looked upon that way.

It could be that they don't want to get involved in 3rd party receivers of any nature because it could lead to support issues they are not prepared to handle. Who knows? They are not open to discussion about it apparently.

And so it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.