Using Icom IC-2730A for airband reception

xms3200

Premium Subscriber
I noticed the IC-2730A has airband reception on it with very good specs on sensitivity. Has anyone used this as a desktop model for VHF air, just wondering.

paulears

Yep, i have one in the office and it has marine on one channel and i can hear my local airfield ground, on a poor antenna pretty well. The only thing is i hate the white display. Its annoying at night!

xms3200

Premium Subscriber
I take it that air band performance is very good, and a better antenna will make a big difference.

rf_patriot200

Yep, i have one in the office and it has marine on one channel and i can hear my local airfield ground, on a poor antenna pretty well. The only thing is i hate the white display. Its annoying at night!
Some hobby shops have plastic film of various colors, and work with changing the display color on the uniden 536 just by trimming to size and inserting it in the front. I'm guessing that might work for the 2730A too.

R7000

I use mine for air but with a ham antenna. If you want to do just air, select the antenna for that.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
With todays technology you would think Icom would offer a dark background with white text for those of us with older weak eyes! I have a 2730 and I love it but I dont care for the display.

paulears

It's also not very good trying to read the display at an angle, I've also noticed - the contrast falls off at the sides.