Using Macs For Win-Based Scanner Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

califmusicman

I switched from Windows to Mac a few months back and had the problem of how to use my Windows-only ARC 396 Pro software to control a BCD396T handheld. Here's the workaround:
- Install Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac on the iMac and get a version of Windows OS 7 on it. The ARC Pro runs on the emulation program without any problems.
- In the case of my radio, it comes with a serial interface that allows you to update or monitor the scanner using the PC software. I use ARC software, not Uniden's software. In either case, you'll need a serial port on your computer and Macs use USB. So you'll want to buy a universal serial-USB converter and have the drivers installed on the Windows side.

I have found no major issues with this set-up and have even done some audio recordings without issues. One suggestion is before loading up the scanner, you should go into the Parallels top menu and: 1) click on Devices, USB, USB HS Serial Converter. Make sure the converter is checker or it won't recognize the radio. You probably will need to click on the this converter in the Parallels menu every time you load it for the first time. It doesn't load automatically, although maybe someone else found a way to do that.

Hope this helps people who are switching to Mac or considering the change.

Sprinter06

1. I too am a Mac user and have for now a Pro-197. On the Mac which programming software is best? Would it be better to use a PC if a person has access to one?

2. What software is best for PC? Guess for us Mac people we should stick with the same program for ease of use and rememberig where all the bells and whistles are.

3. For programming from RR, can the software be run off a thumb drive on the PC? Wondered if I could preogram at work but don't have admin permissions to install certain things on the pc I use.

Suggestions???

mace85

Premium Subscriber
This pains me because I too switched myself and the wife to Mac for many reasons. But I hate to have to buy a copy of windows just to program stuff. But it's good to know parallels works. I may end up using it if my tiny programming netbook dies.

califmusicman

I hear you on the 'hate to have to buy a copy of windows just to program stuff'. I too was annoyed I had to buy the Windows OS on top of the Parallels but fortunately I used a full version upgrade purchased earlier for my laptop -- and it worked. Only complaint is Parallels upgraded 2 months after I bought the software and it required me to buy a new version and pay full price. I bet they'll have another upgrade when the new Mac OS comes out soon. I may not upgrade.

I've found Mac-related products tend to be restrictive on free upgrades. Parallels is no exception. But the luxury of having one computer with Mac and Windows together is an advantage - at least for my purposes.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I thought all the newer Macs came with Bootcamp software, where you could boot the system into Windows or OS/X?

I have a Mac Mini running OS X 10.7.4 running Windows 7 via VMWare Virtual Machine. I use the Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Chipset) available on Amazon for my Uniden Scanner's Serial connection and run FreeScan on the Windows 7 Virtual Machine. I also have a PRO-106 that I use the USB programming cable for UniTrunker on the same VM and have had no issues whatsoever. Using a VM allows me to still have access to my Mac programs when I need them, which is quite often.

Bootcamp will work, however, if you need to use an application on OS X, then you must restart and boot into OS X. With a VM, you do not have to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.