Kenwood: Using MCP-1A to Program Kenwood TM-281A

Status
Not open for further replies.

WL7Z

I'm attempting to use the free Kenwood MCP-1A software program to create memory channels for my new Kenwood TM-281A Xceiver, to communicate with 2 meter repeaters. The main MCP-1A page shows several windows: Memory Channel, VFO, Call Channel, DTMF Memory, & Comment. As I understand it, I am to enter the receiving & transmitting frequencies. What I don't understand is how to enter the tone, to obtain access to the repeater.

Question: How do I enter a repeater's tone in the MCP-1A software to program a memory channel in the TM-281A Xceiver?

Richard, WL7Z

N0TGO

Using MCP-1A to program

I don't know if this will help you or not but this is what I did . First click on the memory tab , then put the frequency you are going to use , the call band and the VFO should both be the same , then click on whatever memory channel you are going to use , which should bring you to the next page were you will be able to put your other information . I hope this helps you . don't worry about the DTMF memory or comment section .

Joe, N0TGO

VE3NMW

Premium Subscriber
Hey Richard! I just got a TM-281A and setup the programming cable but it keeps coming up with a "communication timeout error" warning when I try to have the Kenwood MCP-1A program talk to the radio. Any ideas?? My driver is good to go and is working properly. Wasn't sure if I had to do something to my radio like other Kenwoods.

Terry, VE3NMW

mjrwingnut

Communication Error while programming via MCP-1A

I recently bought a Kenwood TM-281A 2m portable radio and the programming cable. Whenever I tried to program it. I get a communication error. Has anyone else ran into this issue? Where you able to fix the issue?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Who made the cable that you got? Does your programming cable have a USB connector? Does your computer install the drivers for the USB to serial converter when you plug in the cable? Or should you have installed the drivers before plugging in the cable? Have you checked Windows Device Manager (assuming you're using Windows) to see what COM port is assigned to the cable?

K7MFC

WRAA720
What I don't understand is how to enter the tone, to obtain access to the repeater. Question: How do I enter a repeater's tone in the MCP-1A software to program a memory channel in the TM-281A Xceiver?

Hi Richard, if you double click on a channel on the main screen under the "Memory" tab, you will get this screen which allows you to access the settings for each channel, including the TX/RX tones. The input frequency is set via the "Offset" setting.

Nk6ZcMY.png

Last edited:

KD2FIQ

I use CHIRP for programming my 281. Remember the Kenwood's update in real time after each change is made. I like working on a config / memory file and uploading in one shot. But that's not how the Kenwood's work.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Remember the Kenwood's update in real time after each change is made. I like working on a config / memory file and uploading in one shot. But that's not how the Kenwood's work.
Only with CHIRP. The Kenwood software does not change the radio in real time. You have to do an upload/download.

KD2FIQ

That's good to know! Thanks. Although that radio is really a breeze to program from the face so I don't do much programming.

cmdrwill

Remember the FIRST Rule on programming radios: READ the radio FIRST, and save that to an archive file. Then make your changes.

You then have the Archive file to go back to.

Status
Not open for further replies.