• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Using old callsign

LynnMarie1949

Premium Subscriber
I lived in South Bend, IN and my daddy had a CB and the call sign was KNJ1980. This was in the '60's. I was hoping I could use this call sign on my CB? Just for old time sake. Would it be illegal to use it? I am starting up on my CB, I have my call sign for my DMS and I am studying for my Ham License.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The FCC no longer issues callsigns for Citizens Band in the U.S. I'm not sure you'll hear them being used on CB.

Citizens Band is a separate radio service from Amateur Radio and has different rules and different callsign formats. When you apply for your amateur radio license, after passing the test, the FCC will issue you a callsign for use on amateur radio. You can then apply for a vanity license, but it would have to follow the format of amateur radio callsigns. KNJ1980 does not follow the format for amateur radio callsigns.

wtp

i always thought you could 'call' yourself whatever you wanted to.
was it CRB or some other company or person (tom kneitel) that sent you your own 'callsign' or something like that ?
i am sure others will chime in

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I lived in South Bend, IN and my daddy had a CB and the call sign was KNJ1980. This was in the '60's. I was hoping I could use this call sign on my CB? Just for old time sake. Would it be illegal to use it?

The FCC no longer requires a paper license for CB and does not issue call signs for the CB radio service.
However, there is no rule that prevents you from calling yourself whatever you want on the CB. Using your dad's old call sign would not be illegal, and I'm sure he would have gotten a kick out of it. No reason to not keep it alive.
Just don't be surprised if it confuses some.

I am starting up on my CB, I have my call sign for my DMS and I am studying for my Ham License.

Not sure what DMS is, but when you get your amateur radio license, the FCC will issue you a new amateur radio call sign. That call sign/license is ONLY good on amateur radio frequencies, so no need to use it on CB radio.

Peter_SD911

Scan Sexy
Premium Subscriber
There are some old timers that use the old CB calls from when they issued them for the old UHF/CB days. They paid the extra 5 bucks for the rights to UHF CB (GMRS) on the same application in 1978...and when CB license were converted to "lifetime" they continued using them. The final applications were for class A,B,C, and D CB radio services.

Nothing say's they can't use those old 4x4 "K" calls on GMRS since it's still "Citizens Band" and those were all converted to "lifetime".

Last edited:

nd5y

i always thought you could 'call' yourself whatever you wanted to.
Correct. See Federal Register :: Request Access.
was it CRB or some other company or person (tom kneitel) that sent you your own 'callsign' or something like that ?
i am sure others will chime in
If I remember right that was some sort of "official monitoring station" fake callsign and had nothing to do with CB.

Reactions: wtp

LynnMarie1949

Premium Subscriber
I meant DMR. I just don't want to get into any trouble with FCC for using my daddy's old call sign. Thanks for all that replied

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes indeed, it was crb research on Long Island, in Commack, New York, late 60s- 70s who had an official monitoring station certificate LOL with fake call signs. Tom was publishing frequency listings, they were the ones that were red or orange so that they couldn't be "mimeographed" LOL.

@Lynnemarie, my dad got a CB radio license in 1965, it wasn't for him, he was a ham operator, and didn't use CB.. it was for me, KOG-0554, I was around 12 years old and I was the one who was into CB radio. The FCC took CB pretty seriously then including the licenses.

They don't even have a record of those licenses anymore to match them up with anyone and you can do whatever you want with your dad's call sign on CB, that can be your handle, it's a great conversational piece as I'm sure it will confuse people and you might get some kidding about it.😀.

KANE4109

@LynnMarie1949 - I tend to be kind of sentimental about how my father in law got me hooked on this hobby. I'd say using it to honor your dad. To many ... it will just be another "handle". To the FCC... they can't even find it anymore. Another question asked a bunch of times is..... "can the FCC look up my old callsign" and... no they can't. The information they put out says all of those records were destroyed years ago.

Use it but, most of all, have fun on the band!

Blossom89

I lived in South Bend, IN and my daddy had a CB and the call sign was KNJ1980. This was in the '60's. I was hoping I could use this call sign on my CB? Just for old time sake. Would it be illegal to use it? I am starting up on my CB, I have my call sign for my DMS and I am studying for my Ham License.
Hello fellow KJN callsign holder. LOL Back in the early 70's my callsign was KJN3500. I long ago lost my license copy however.

Last edited by a moderator: