using outdoor scanner antenna inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

godzilla151

Hi. I own a radioshack 2035 base station and had the bright idea of hooking it up to sc 2 scantenna which i recieved yesterday, which will be hidden behind a large bookshelf,the thinking being that anything is better then the built in antenna,and the reason for doing this is i live in an apartment. My question is do i ground it and to what? It will be mounted to either a wooden stick or a piece of metal pipe. The little i have found on this subject mention's grounding to reduce static. Anyway thanks for the time and any ideas.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I don't think you will have a static problem inside. For over a year I have had a Yagi antenna mounted to a torch lamp post right next to my TV and computer. The lamp has rubber feet and sits on wall to wall carpet and I have always had crystal clear reception and I am 10 miles from the antenna site (Listen to my feed). There may be enough static grounding through the coax cable.

nanZor

Well, behind the bookshelf also means the antenna will be also near the wall. If that is the only place you can put it, try to keep the antenna elements as far away from the wall and bookshelf backing as you can - split the difference.

Wall materials (and in fact your bookcase materials) can be very rf-absorbing when close to them. If you have the room, you may consider moving the bookshelf itself away from the wall to get more spacing - as much as you can until the bookshelf positioning becomes a safety or major decorater problem.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
BRICK? Hopefully you realize that will give you 10+ db loss vs using a wire OCFD antenna hanging in a window or balcony? Still, the ST-2 between a bookshelf and a brick wall might be some better than the back-of-set telescoping whip. (I can't believe I'm writing this.......)

godzilla151

I realize this,but for a fifty dollar investment with an antenna with good ratings i figure that anything has to be an upgrade versus the antenna with the set.

godzilla151

Well i hooked it up,had to clip a foot off the top to make it fit,and i am pulling in responses from patrol cars that i could not get before on vhf high. It really made a difference. I never really had a problem on uhf. I am very happy overall with the result,and thanks for the advice.

mrkelso

"had to clip a foot off the top to make it fit" Oh no!!!!!!!!------ tell me you didn't really.

Status
Not open for further replies.