Using profanity on the radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
My employer/management from time to time uses profanity on their business frequencies if I were to record and turn into digital mode and hand it over to the FCC what will actually happen? Would I get compensated in any way? Please only post if you really know.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
You're kidding, right? Your compensation would probably come in the form of eligibility for unemployment. The FCC isn't going to give you anything.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Business freqs aren't like public safety, CB or ham radio where the frequencies are shared. Your employer is paying to rent those frequencies, unless harmful interference is being done to other nearby users on the frequency the FCC will not act on it.

Its like renting a home and being told you cant cuss in your own home. But if you start messing with your home and it begins to interfere or endanger other peoples homes then the police and the owner, in this case the FCC, will have something to say about it.

Last edited:

n5ims

Business communications aren't public broadcasting and there's really nothing in the rules about foul language. You probably could transmit the most foul language regularly over a properly licensed business band radio and the FCC wouldn't do anything about it. If that radio wasn't properly licensed, then the FCC would care.

The FCC does have language restrictions that cover the broadcast media (over-the-air TV, AM and FM stations) as well as part 97 (ham) and part 95 (CB/MURS/GMRS, etc.). Generally these prohibit transmissions containing "Obscene, profane or indecent words, language or meaning". No such language restrictions exist for part 90 (land mobile).

D

DaveNF2G

Business freqs aren't like public safety, CB or ham radio where the frequencies are shared. Your employer is paying to rent those frequencies, unless harmful interference is being done to other nearby users on the frequency the FCC will not act on it.

Its like renting a home and being told you cant cuss in your own home. But if you start messing with your home and it begins to interfere or endanger other peoples homes then the police and the owner, in this case the FCC, will have something to say about it.

Sorry, but your analogies are way off base.

First of all, the radio spectrum is owned by the people and held in trust by the FCC (despite the interests of the wireless operators, this is the original charter of the Commission).

Second, FCC regulations governing every portion of the radio spectrum prohibit profanity.

As for the OP, there are several possible outcomes, some not good for you:

1) If you report the offenses anonymously, the FCC might or might not act. There is no "compensation" for you beyond your own emotional satisfaction.

2) If you report publicly, the FCC might or might not act. There are no rewards offered for turning in violators.

2a) Your employer will probably fire you.

2b) Your employer might sue you for violating ECPA and/or the Communications Act.

2c) The government might prosecute (and/or sue) you for the same causes.

Have you tried telling your employer that the transmissions are illegal? Maybe they just aren't aware of it, or that some employees are misusing the airwaves and thereby putting the employer's license (and money) at risk.

elk2370bruce

you would have the satisfaction of helping Law Enforcement police the airwaves, like a good citizen.

Like a good, unemployed, citizen. The days of the amateur bounty hunter are over. If you hate your employer so much, and has mistreated you, seek other employment and stop looking for a quick buck.

jackj

What would you get?

My employer/management from time to time uses profanity on their business frequencies if I were to record and turn into digital mode and hand it over to the FCC what will actually happen? Would I get compensated in any way? Please only post if you really know.
I doubt that the FCC would do anything to your employer. Years ago, when I was a 2-way tech, we had a customer called us one day and wanted us to fix some problems. Turns out that he got a notice of violation from the FCC detailing several violations against his system. We talked to his dispatcher while fixing his problems, seems he complained to the FCC about another licensee on his frequency. Both companies got notices. The other company had to write to the FCC and promise never to do it again. It cost our customer several hundred dollars to comply with his notice. Be VERY careful you don't get something along the same lines.

Also, the FCC doesn't do anywhere near as much policing of the air waves as the used to do. They never have really cared what traffic was transmitted on private systems. If you don't believe me, consider long distance companies. A lot of their traffic was carried by point-to-point microwave. I don't remember EVER hearing of a phone company being cited because a customer cussed on a call.

reedeb

OH but of course you will be compensated. You can be looking at several months or several years of looking for a new job. Not much if any unemployment, bills piling up. In the great words in your area............................. FUGGETABOUTIT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.