BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Using Quick Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

hornjt

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to find something that gives ideas on using the quick key. I understnd you can leave it blank and it will be enabled, and you can set them up to bu used by the tags. I'm just having a problem grasping how you can use the system keys, department keys to organize them.
Any assistants will be gratly appreciated. I vaven't found any youtube videos that goes over that and also the manual and Easier to read hasn;'t helped either.

Reactions: wdz

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to find something that gives ideas on using the quick key. I understnd you can leave it blank and it will be enabled, and you can set them up to bu used by the tags. I'm just having a problem grasping how you can use the system keys, department keys to organize them.
Any assistants will be gratly appreciated. I vaven't found any youtube videos that goes over that and also the manual and Easier to read hasn;'t helped either.
Start with this Wiki page:

The quick keys give you an easy way to turn systems, departments, and Favorites lists on or offwhile scanning. Certainly, you do not have to use them, but set up properly, it gives you more control on what you are listening to.

N4DJC

Quick keys along with location control are two very handy features of the 436/536 100/200 series. It’s a bit of a learning curve but well worth the time.

genelp

After a very long time, I am still trying to grasp the culture and logic of the use of quick keys and tags. I now get it that I can turn on or off the scanning of a service with a QK as long as the service is switched on initially in the scanner. (It took me a while to figure that one out..talk about driving me crazy) I.e. if LAW is turned off initially in the scanner settings, it won't matter whether I use QK or not. Same with a Tag. But my problem is; how do I remember how I actually assigned the QK's or Tags. Like say, after a while, I wanted to turn off a service that I had been listening to all along. I usually cannot remember what number I used. Does someone have an easy way to remember? Aside from having to stop what I am doing to go through the menus or turn on the Sentinal or ProScan app to rediscover how I programmed them?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Service Types toggle categories of channels on and off--police, fire, EMS, etc.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As a rule, I will incorporate the Quick Key in the name of the Favorites List/System/Department name. That helps me to remember.
Examples:

"F01 Home Area" Favorites List with FLQK of 1
"S02 Louisville MetroSafe" System with SQK of 2
"D03 Fire Departments" Department with a DQK of 3

I also have a cheat sheet stored on my iPhone for reference purposes.

Remember that the period is an important separator when toggling quick keys - 1.2.3 eYes.

Conceptually you could look at Quick Keys like an address. The Favorites List is the City & State, the System is the Street and the Department is the specific address. Each component allows you to narrow in on something more specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.