Using radio antenna with a splitter to a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbk127k

Hello gentlemen, I need some advice. I currently have a BCT15 setup within my Fire Dept. social room, members always ask about a external antenna to be installed. Unfortunately really don't have a way to get up to install am antenna on the firehouse tower that is located on the roof.

So what I was looking to do is we have 3 radios in our communications room, lowband, vhf and uhf. What I wanted to do was put a splitter on each end of the 3 antenna wires so one would go to the radio and one running to a multiband multicoupler and then to the scanner. Is this possible?, without buying a whole new antenna and then trying to access the roof.

Also if it is possible do you think it would decrease the capability of the radios performance before and after ddoingit, like reception/transmitting gain?.

Last edited:

jim202

Hello gentlemen, I need some advice. I currently have a BCT15 setup within my Fire Dept. social room, members always ask about a external antenna to be installed. Unfortunately really don't have a way to get up to install am antenna on the firehouse tower that is located on the roof.

So what I was looking to do is we have 3 radios in our communications room, lowband, vhf and uhf. What I wanted to do was put a splitter on each end of the 3 antenna wires so one would go to the radio and one running to a multiband multicoupler and then to the scanner. Is this possible?, without buying a whole new antenna and then trying to access the roof.

Also if it is possible do you think it would decrease the capability of the radios performance before and after ddoingit, like reception/transmitting gain?.

Word of caution here. If these 3 radios your talking about are used for any transmitting, then the answer is no. You would end up with some of that transmitting power being fed out to the scanner port. This would burn out the front end of the scanner.

SpectreOZ

Use a ladder, it's a firehouse right? alternatively what about the bucket extension do any of your trucks have one of those? you could make it a training exercise for a rookie eh? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.