• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Using radios in cat rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2UJZ

Premium Subscriber
I really didn't know where to ask but I do volunteer work with a local cat rescue program. Part of it is trapping feral cats to be vaccinated, fixed & released.

Anyway since I often have to monitor several traps from a distance I have been putting my UV5Rs on a MURS channel low power with VOX at lowest (1) and roger beep (or PTT-ID) near trap so when a cat sets it I get tones. I know I'm not supposed to use my UV5Rs on FRS/GMRS but am I OK on MURS? Sam's Club uses Ch 1 so I avoid that.

I'm also a ham so not sure if it could be used in that way on 2m or 70cm. Just want to make sure I'm not doing anything I'm not supposed to though.-justin

toastycookies

I really didn't know where to ask but I do volunteer work with a local cat rescue program. Part of it is trapping feral cats to be vaccinated, fixed & released.

Anyway since I often have to monitor several traps from a distance I have been putting my UV5Rs on a MURS channel low power with VOX at lowest (1) and roger beep (or PTT-ID) near trap so when a cat sets it I get tones. I know I'm not supposed to use my UV5Rs on FRS/GMRS but am I OK on MURS? Sam's Club uses Ch 1 so I avoid that.

I'm also a ham so not sure if it could be used in that way on 2m or 70cm. Just want to make sure I'm not doing anything I'm not supposed to though.-justin

You'd prolly do better just using a ham frequency on 2m or 70cm.

Check Part 95J.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Unless the radio has Part 95J, as Toasty said, it's not legal for use on MURS.
-Yes, we know that most people just ignore that fact and do it anyway, but you are asking if you are "supposed to".

I agree, if you have an amateur license, pick an appropriate 70cm frequency and use that. You'll still need to figure out a way to ID, but that's not impossible.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The ISM band 433 MHz is shared with 70CM ham band and you can buy some cheap part15 transmitters for remote control and give them a boost with an amplifier. Limit the transmit time so you dont screw up car key fobs all over town. Program a tone sequence and CW ID using a PIC chip.

N2UJZ

Premium Subscriber
I knew there are some (mostly unused) parts of 2m and 70cm for experimental, beacons etc, so I'll check into what freqs. I've done range tests because I was trying to trap one a bit over a mile away from home and even with a Nagoya 771 on both it was not strong here.

But just wanted to check though. I seriously doubt a few seconds of tones at low power late at night is bothering anyone (except the time I forgot to turn vox off- oops!). I'll check into ham bands though.

I can ID using my receiving radio I always of course turn volume down on the others. So far this weekend caught 4 kittens for rescue & adoption.... Bravo, Charlie, Delta, and Echo! Thanks everyone for ideas.

Rred

On the one hand, "no harm no foul" often works.
On the other...I can't think of any radio service where it is legal or proper to let animals control the transmissions. Which is what those cats are doing.

Convert a driveway monitor or other "device" that uses an ISM frequency or similar, instead of hijacking voice services, and you'd be totally in the "no harm no foul" territory.

Or, just forget the rest of the details and roll your dice on flying below the radar. Which is what it is, MURS or Ham or whatever.

N2UJZ

Premium Subscriber
"Hijacking voice services" :p
Yes hanging around parking lots late at night shining flashlights under cars and generally looking suspicious is part of the work but I'm no hijacker lol.

Attachments

• kylecropst.jpg
    kylecropst.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 200

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Good to hear you volunteer. I'm a cat owner.. (Sitting at my feet as I type this). Do you also rescue giant cats :) :)

Attachments

• giantcat.gif
    giantcat.gif
    40.3 KB · Views: 180
Status
Not open for further replies.