Using RS cable with PSR-500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Yes it is the same cable that came with the PSR-500. Only difference is its is orange and has RS branding -vs- the blue GRE cable. GRE was the OEM of the RS cable.

geoff5093

Stick0413 said:
Yes it is the same cable that came with the PSR-500. Only difference is its is orange and has RS branding -vs- the blue GRE cable. GRE was the OEM of the RS cable.
Ok, just wanted to make sure if I decided to go with a GRE scanner instead of my Uniden, I'm glad I can keep my current RS cable without buying a new one.

Thanks guys!

n2mdk

geoff5093 said:
Ok, just wanted to make sure if I decided to go with a GRE scanner instead of my Uniden, I'm glad I can keep my current RS cable without buying a new one.

Thanks guys!

The PSR-500 comes with the cable included.

geoff5093

n2mdk said:
The PSR-500 comes with the cable included.
haha, figures, I guess if I find one on eBay (unlikely), that just includes the scanner, i'll be set.

I know this isn't the best thread to ask, but would you recommend the PSR-500 over the 396T? I just got the 396T but I can't get it to decode any digital transmissions, and I really like how the 500 is setup, with all they buttons you need on the keypad.

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
geoff5093 said:
I know this isn't the best thread to ask, but would you recommend the PSR-500 over the 396T? I just got the 396T but I can't get it to decode any digital transmissions, and I really like how the 500 is setup, with all they buttons you need on the keypad.

yeah you're right its not, but since were here, i had a 396t and wasnt by any means 100% satisfied with the digital sound quality, (analog/conventional sound great) i told myself i'd hang on to it until the 2.0 update and see if that helps, well i waited, and the update did not bring me the results i wanted, so after reading all the comments on how well the sound quality is on the psr500, i decided to buy one of those, complete night and day difference, if your buying a scanner to LISTEN to, then sound quality should be your main issue, and if that IS indeed the case, i recommend the psr 500

Last edited:

geoff5093

Well right now I have both the PSR-500 and 396T, I went down to HRO yesterday and picked up the 500. It worked great at first, but now I can't get it to pick up any signal, and I mean anything. It just keeps on scanning through the weather channels as well, and I have no idea why.

The only time it works is if I'm near the transmitter, or if I tune to a ham frequency and transmit.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Deaf PSR-500

If it's hooked to an outside antenna, it may be getting overloaded. Check for nearby transmitters, then install an appropriate filter.

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
Try with the rubber duckie that came with the scanner first, if that doesn't work then it sounds like the BNC connector broke inside the scanner.

takeme

Was Oakvillecub
Banned
can i use my pro96 or pr92 cable for my psr500?

hi all, i have a pro96 and a pro92 cable and they are both serial instead of usb, can i use one of these for my gre prs500c scanner?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.