Using RSP1A With SdrSharp 1361

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC_zero_DSU

I'm entirely new to SDR other than the studying I have done on it over the past several months. I decided to buy an RSP1A (hope this corona virus crap doesn't delay it's shipping like it did with an item I ordered on Amazon) and would like to try it out using the older version of SdrSharp. I have also downloaded SdrUno, HDSdr, Sdr Console, and SdrSharper. I haven't received the RSP1A yet but from what I can see of SdrUno without actually using it yet, to me it seems like it is needlessly complicated and a mess of multiple windows. I've downloaded the SdrSharp 1361, the RSP1A HW driver API... actually two of them. An older one which is said to be for older third party software which is what I assumed I would need for the older SdrSharp. Speaking of which can I have both the older and newer drivers both installed for use with both older and newer software?And I downloaded the recent driver as well. Downloaded the Extio plugin, and Sdr# Plugin. Does the Extio plugin installer contain the Extio.dll file that i need to copy in to the Sdr# folder? or is the Extio plugin installer different than just the dll? Can someone provide some guidance on what I need to do to get things setup for the RSP1A to work with Sdr# 1361 and also plugins that will work and getting those working. Where do I get that Extio.dll file from? Will the instructions the person provided in this post, SDR Play with SDR# work with my device or are there better updated instructions for my device? Any advice and guidance would be fantastic. I also download DSD+ and hoping to get that setup and working as well. There is just so many different things a person can do with an SDR and I want to try a bunch of stuff but it's getting a bit mind boggling and I need to focus on one thing at a time. Wow I gotta lot to learn though.

Last edited:

wscranston

Don't write off SDRUno. It looks complicated but once you get it set up it's not that hard to use. You can use the basic functions without worrying about the power user stuff. And it really does "just work" with the RSP1a. And works well. Just my opinion.

thewraith2008

Comes down to what you intend to listen too.

Newer plug-ins are not going to work with older SDR#
Older plug-ins are not going to work with newer SDR#

RSP1A is not going to work with newer SDR# as the RSP1A frontend won't work (same reason a plug-ins. - .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.6 changes)

The public (free) DSD+ does not have support for RSP1A. That came with the DSD+ fastlane.

If your starting out, get used to SDRUno from the start.
I've used SDR# for so long I find SDRUno frustrating to use so I end up using my $9 dongles with SDR# over the RSP1A.
SDRUno I think is best suit to analog transmissions where you can stuff around with the countless options.
For digital, SDRUno is just overkill.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are many YouTube videos on how to get SDRUno working. In fact SDRPlay has a dedicated customer system as well as email and a page dedicated to both YouTube videos (and in some cases PDF files) on lots of topics. You can find that here...

Mike

KC_zero_DSU

Comes down to what you intend to listen too.

Newer plug-ins are not going to work with older SDR#
Older plug-ins are not going to work with newer SDR#

RSP1A is not going to work with newer SDR# as the RSP1A frontend won't work (same reason a plug-ins. - .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.6 changes)

The public (free) DSD+ does not have support for RSP1A. That came with the DSD+ fastlane.

If your starting out, get used to SDRUno from the start.
I've used SDR# for so long I find SDRUno frustrating to use so I end up using my $9 dongles with SDR# over the RSP1A.
SDRUno I think is best suit to analog transmissions where you can stuff around with the countless options.
For digital, SDRUno is just overkill.

Ha! What I intend to listen to.... EVERYTHING! Everything I can anyways. I'm a tinkerer and with the sheer amount of stuff a person can do with SDR(s), their a tinkerers dream. I eventually plan on getting a second one. What do you guys think about one of those Nooelec ones for a second cheaper one? There's a lot of stuff I'd like to try out. Like weather satellites and wx data, ACARS and ADS-B, digital modes on ham bands and elsewhere, general SWLing, and would also like to setup to listen to local agencies that use DMR and MotoTrbo. My scanner is capable of doing that but I'm not wanting to spend another $150 for upgrades. Another project is going to be adding a discriminator tap lead coming out of my old Pro-92. Right now though I just need to focus on getting at least one piece of software functional and figuring it out. I am aware of the limitations of using an Rsp1a with Sdr# but would still like to try it out as I have heard great things about it and it just looks slick too., Thanks for the responses everybody. I'm definitely going to try SdrUno along with the other ones I downloaded as well. I did find the extio_sdrplay_rsp1a.dll file, so does that dll need to be copied in to the root folder of each application I intend on using...HDSdr, Sdr#, etc...?

Ubbe

I'm also interested in this. It was rumoured that an older version of SDR# where able to use the RSP1 driver but I had no success with that.
SDRUno can be a mess but close down the windows you do not need. If you know what frequency to monitor you don't even need the spectrum and the frequency manager.

/Ubbe

thewraith2008

I'm also interested in this. It was rumoured that an older version of SDR# where able to use the RSP1 driver but I had no success with that.
SDRUno can be a mess but close down the windows you do not need. If you know what frequency to monitor you don't even need the spectrum and the frequency manager.

/Ubbe
It does work (SDR# 1411-1500)
I set it up with v1490, problem is no plug-ins work with it because of the whitelisting SDR# does to source frontend.

thewraith2008

Ha! What I intend to listen to.... EVERYTHING! Everything I can anyways
Like weather satellites and wx data, ACARS and ADS-B, digital modes on ham bands and elsewhere, general SWLing, and would also like to setup to listen to local agencies that use DMR and MotoTrbo.
I probably should have said analog or digital. From your response I'd say digital.
For digital modes a simple SDR program is all that is need if external programs do the work.
In this case SDRUno is like buying 48 rolls of toilet paper at the moment.:eek: (Completely unnecessary)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did you watch any of the YouTube videos from the page I posted? They will help with getting SDRUno running. Once you get that going and you're comfortable with it, then is the time to move onto other programs like SDR# and SDR Console...Mike

KC_zero_DSU

I probably should have said analog or digital. From your response I'd say digital.
For digital modes a simple SDR program is all that is need if external programs do the work.
In this case SDRUno is like buying 48 rolls of toilet paper at the moment.:eek: (Completely unnecessary)

That last line made me smile, agreed(y) I did buy a 3500 watt generator though and then finally managed to successfully field flash and get my 5600 watt one working. Was planning on doing that regardless of all this corona virus hype, and it is hype, but you never know how far all the hype is gonna go. My friend, who's also my boss, is one of those buying in to the non-sense. But he did convince me to get back in to ham radio again, (because he wanted to get a license and radio for the zombie apocalypse), So I bought a couple rigs and some gear and now I'm getting in to SDR. He went out and bought a butt-load of TP and was like, 'Well buddy I guess I'm gonna have to lay you off cause nobody's gonna want tree work done now.' I txted him and was like, ' Hey yo can a brotha bum some toilet paper cuz I be too po to buy some now and they be out errwhere anyways'.

Did you watch any of the YouTube videos from the page I posted? They will help with getting SDRUno running. Once you get that going and you're comfortable with it, then is the time to move onto other programs like SDR# and SDR Console...Mike

Yep I sure did, thanks. I had already watched a number of those but I'm still learning so gonna watch and read more.

@KC_zero_DSU,
Did you look software SDRconsole?
Work very nice with SDRplay or PlutoSDR

I did download and install SDRconsole, can't wait for my Rsp1a to get here. Should be here Friday or Saturday. That works out though because it's the weekend and supposed to rain all weekend too, might as well it's already rained all week.

It does work (SDR# 1411-1500)
I set it up with v1490, problem is no plug-ins work with it because of the whitelisting SDR# does to source frontend.

So is it Sdr# 1361 that works with the Rsp1a or is it 1411-1500? I thought I had read it was 1361, maybe that was for an older model Rsp.

Ubbe

I used 1361 as well and the ExtIO_SDRplay_RSP1.dll couldn't recognise the hardware. Maybe RSP1 doesn't work and needs a RSP1a.

/Ubbe

thewraith2008

So is it Sdr# 1361 that works with the Rsp1a or is it 1411-1500? I thought I had read it was 1361, maybe that was for an older model Rsp.
The SDR# frontend only works with SDR# versions 1411 to 1500.
SDRPlay website said:
SDR# Plugin – version 2.2
(RSP1 ONLY) (SDR# 1411-1500) <----------------- Does work with RSP1A
Note: This plugin will NOT work on SDR# versions greater than 1500

The ExtIO plug-in only works with SDR# (up to?) v1361. ExtIO was removed after that version.
I've never tried this way so don't know if works or not.
There seem to be two ExtIO plug-ins from SDRPlay website:
SDRPlay website said:
ExtIO Plugins – v1.2 (13th Jul 2018)
- (RSP1/RSP1A/RSP2)

ExtIO Plugin TCP v1.1 (22nd Dec 2019)
- (RSP1/RSP1A/RSP2/RSPduo – single tuner only) – Requires TCP Server

thewraith2008

Had a look at SDR# v1361 + ExtIO Plugin – v1.2 (13th Jul 2018) for use with RSP1A
  • This works OK, but first few times SDR# keep crashing when started play. Seems OK now but not sure if some option needed changing to get to work?
  • This set-up works with SDR# plug-ins ** see below

This is the only SDR# plug-ins I could find that worked:
  • IQ notch filter
  • Auto correct IQ
  • ScopeView (TXmonitorScopeViewUpdatedTo1179.zip one)
  • CTCSS Decoder (older version)
  • Frequency Scanner (3.5 one)
Problem with some of these plug-ins is that all versions created had same filename but the file dates were modified to all be the same.
This made knowing earlier versions from later versions impossible. Only real way to tell they were different was looking at filesize and hash.

KC_zero_DSU

Had a look at SDR# v1361 + ExtIO Plugin – v1.2 (13th Jul 2018) for use with RSP1A
  • This works OK, but first few times SDR# keep crashing when started play. Seems OK now but not sure if some option needed changing to get to work?
  • This set-up works with SDR# plug-ins ** see below

This is the only SDR# plug-ins I could find that worked:
  • IQ notch filter
  • Auto correct IQ
  • ScopeView (TXmonitorScopeViewUpdatedTo1179.zip one)
  • CTCSS Decoder (older version)
  • Frequency Scanner (3.5 one)
Problem with some of these plug-ins is that all versions created had same filename but the file dates were modified to all be the same.
This made knowing earlier versions from later versions impossible. Only real way to tell they were different was looking at filesize and hash.
Thanks for the update. Could you advise on the proper steps for what to install, order to install it in, and where to install stuff too... extio.dll placement, api, etc... I'm all new to SDR but am fine with computers and tech savvy. I'd appreciate it, thanks.

thewraith2008

SDR by nature requires experimentation.
To have every step laid out seems to take away from the enjoyment of the hobby.
I understand ones eagerness to get up and running, but learning how to do things yourself can help you later on in the hobby.

Install SDRUno and drivers for RSP1A and the API (2.13 and 3.0x)
  • 2.13 will be needed for ExtIO plugin for SDR#
  • 3.0x for SDRUno
I generally set-up a SDR# for each purpose I what to use it for:
  • DSD+ for exploring the bands for identifing digital signal - DMR, P25 etc.... But use DSD+ with FMPx for normal listening.
  • ACARS
  • ADS-B
  • MOBITEX 8000
  • POGSAG
  • Frequency Scanner
  • And whatever else you want to get it too.
The settings will be retained for each purpose rather than the need to keep changing them when you want to do something different.

Get any versions of SDR# you can get your hands on.
From SDR#, that's v1716 (non themes) and v1732 (themes)
Other versions you can hunt down from around the net.
I personally prefer v1700.
Some versions are better than others and work better depending on plugin used. v1700 is a good all rounder I find.
Versions previous to v1717 are small enough that it does not take up large amounts of HDD space.
Versions v1717+ are larger by about 4x (only 21 MB)

Plug-ins (the .dll and any other support files) are copied to the SDR# folder.
Plug-ins come with instructions to modify the 'Plugins.xml' file to add a required line so SDR# knows to load it at startup.
- This is referred to by most as the 'MagicLine'

SDR# changed .NET frameworks awhile ago from 3.5 to 4.6.
This is one of the main reasons some plug-ins don't work with newer SDR#, plug-ins have not been updated.
Other reason they don't work is SDR# made changes to the plug-in API interface.

ArloG

It's said that the last sdr# version that works with the RSP's is 1361.
I have the version with all plugins. So far haven't gotten DSD+ fastlane to work with it but the built in plugin does.
I dropped my IC-R8600 dll into the sharp folder and added it in frontends and it works too..well partially anyway.
If anyone can verify versions above 1361 that works with the RSP's it would be really cool.
I've read that 1401 works but is so far unobtanium. I have the popular link to the older versions but it's not there.

I asked in the RTL-SDR forum the same questions but they squelched me out.

Be safe everyone. Be smart.

KenMaltz

Premium Subscriber
Was planning on doing that regardless of all this corona virus hype, and it is hype, but you never know how far all the hype is gonna go.

Corona virus "hype?" Not far from here, in New Jersey, a family of 11 lost 3 of their members and has 4 in the hospital, in serious condition. People in my neighborhood are hospitalized with many more being diagnosed daily. Perhaps you ought to contact this family and tell them that their mother and siblings did not actually pass away...

KC_zero_DSU

SDR by nature requires experimentation.
To have every step laid out seems to take away from the enjoyment of the hobby.
I understand ones eagerness to get up and running, but learning how to do things yourself can help you later on in the hobby....

I think I have things installed correctly but I can't go any further or know if it's working until my Rsp1a actually get's here. I paid the $$$ for DSD+ fastlane updates and followed the instructions to install it. This DSD+ is a whole other beast, I feel I'm going to have more frustration and difficulty with it than anything else. Editing the config files, figuring out the proper format for editing them, and it appears there are files... csv and others possibly, that don't exist and you have to create yourself. It might be next winter before I actually figure all of this out. I was also wanting to see about getting OP25 set up in a Linux virtual machine. It's not that I couldn't do it. It's that this time of year until winter I don't have much time. During the winter work is slow for me and I have time for projects and tinkering but we're getting back in to the busy season now.

Status
Not open for further replies.