WS1080: Using Scanlists

Status
Not open for further replies.

lu81fitter

I am new to Whistler scanners. I am using EZ Scan software. When I enter my info for sites and TGID's into the scanlists, and say I have 2 sites on scanlist 1 with 10 TGID's, and 3 sites on scanlist 12 with 10 TGID's, will the scanner pick up traffic from the TGID's I have on scanlist 1 on the sites I have programmed for scanlist 12 if both scanlists are enabled? Or do I have to duplicate all of the TGID's for each scanlist?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
When you add the TGIDs you select the scanlists in EZ Scan. You do the same for conventional freqs you add.

TGIDs (2).png

lu81fitter

OK. Got it. Thank you. I don't have my radio yet. Just playing with the software and trying to learn the programming. I am familiar with using Proscan to program my Uniden radios. This will be my first Whistler.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
OK. Got it. Thank you. I don't have my radio yet. Just playing with the software and trying to learn the programming. I am familiar with using Proscan to program my Uniden radios. This will be my first Whistler.

Attachments

• USING EZ SCAN TO IMPORT TRUNKED SYSTEMS.pdf
    731.9 KB · Views: 23

lu81fitter

I have been exploring different ways to import. I prefer to import from my existing programming from Proscan. It seems I can do it thru an export option in Proscan. I have my programing streamlined there. Just takes some time and finagling to make it user friendly for EZ Scan. When I get my radio, I'll see how it works out.

Swipesy

This may help you understand the User Interface of the Whistler scanners.

1. You enter Systems and their associated Site Control and Alternate frequencies (Except Harris Systems, enter all site frequencies)
2. Under each System enter the Talkgroups associated with the System.
3. Assign the Talkgroups to 1 or more Scanlists
4. The scanner scans frequencies and NOT Talkgroups.
5. With Conventional Enter frequency and assign to 1 or more Talkgroups,
6. You can mix Talkgroups and Conventional frequencies in any one or more Scanlists.

Hope this helps

lu81fitter

OK. Thank you.
So I have been sitting here most of the afternoon programming EZ Scan. I have figured out how to program all of the talk groups in different scanlists so I can scan only the area that I'm in. I also found that the systems have ID numbers. Can I lock out systems using that ID number so that I'm not scanning 1000 channels or do those systems lock out with the corresponding scanlist? I haven't seen a clear correlation between the systems and the scanlists.

Swipesy

If I understand what you are asking is that you downloaded all the towers for a system? If so you can lock out the towers that are not within your location. In EzScan (can't do it on radio) on the tab where you have your system(s) in the section below the system there are tabs on the left. The first tab lists your sites. Lock out sites outside your listening area.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
OK. Thank you.
So I have been sitting here most of the afternoon programming EZ Scan. I have figured out how to program all of the talk groups in different scanlists so I can scan only the area that I'm in. I also found that the systems have ID numbers. Can I lock out systems using that ID number so that I'm not scanning 1000 channels or do those systems lock out with the corresponding scanlist? I haven't seen a clear correlation between the systems and the scanlists.

The system isn't what you are scanning (per se), you add the system, then the towers/site(s) you want to hear (that is the frequencies you are scanning), then you add talkgroups which is what the scanner looks for in the systems. You can lock out/skip TGs or sites.

Note: You can select (in EZ Scan) whether you want SKIP to lockout the TG permanently or temporary (until you turn scanner off and back on).

lu81fitter

If I understand what you are asking is that you downloaded all the towers for a system? If so you can lock out the towers that are not within your location. In EzScan (can't do it on radio) on the tab where you have your system(s) in the section below the system there are tabs on the left. The first tab lists your sites. Lock out sites outside your listening area.
So what you are saying is, that if I want to change/lock-out different systems, I need to use a computer with EZ Scan.... Is that correct?

The system isn't what you are scanning (per se), you add the system, then the towers/site(s) you want to hear (that is the frequencies you are scanning), then you add talkgroups which is what the scanner looks for in the systems. You can lock out/skip TGs or sites.

Note: You can select (in EZ Scan) whether you want SKIP to lockout the TG permanently or temporary (until you turn scanner off and back on).
I understand that I am scanning the sites. I have some systems that have multiple sites. I want to toggle the whole system on/off so all the sites are not scanning. If I'm in Joliet, I don't want the radio to scan the sites in Macomb (200 miles away).

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I guess I'm asking you both the same question. Sorry. Do I need a computer to toggle systems on and off? Or is there a simple way to do that on the radio itself?

You do not turn off the system, you turn off sites or talkgroups. And you need the computer to turn off sites. Best bet is to put the talkgroups by area/city/county into separate scanlists and then you can turn off the scanlist. Other option is to duplicate the system and only add in the sites you want for each area into the duplicate system, BUT if you do this you have to manually update the duplicate system as Whistler scanners one recognize the first/primary system through updates.

lu81fitter

The file I have in Proscan for my BCD996P2 has 18 systems in it with over 1100 frequencies. Each system can be toggled on and off with the radio keypad. I have each system programmed by State Police District. So essentially, each of my scanlists in my EZ Scan program covers a 3 or 4 county area, almost identical to my Proscan file. The only exception to that is my home area, where most of the departments are conventional analog. That is its own scanlist. I still have every frequency in the Illinois STARCOM system for basically the entire north half of the state (with the exception of Cook County) involved in this programming. That is a s*%# ton of frequencies to scan. So I guess I'll be taking my laptop with me to plug in to the radio and only turn on what I need while I'm at that location. I have been making a practice of taking it with me anyway so I can get on Radio Reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.