SDRTrunk Using SDRTrunk to run multiple broadcastify feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

drayd48

Wasn't sure whether to post these questions in this thread or the streaming thread, but I have been using SDRTrunk to scan multiple systems on and off for some time now. I'm pretty familiar with how to program works but I have some questions before I want to run about 5-6 feeds.
1. Can the program support running about 5-6 broadcastify feeds using alpha tags over two systems? I'm currently using two SDR's to get enough spread.
2. If multiple TGs are talking that I want on the feeds, will they talk over each other on one particular feed? ex Feed 1 has Tac 1 and Tac 2 in the list. Will both talk over the feed at the same time or will it be one or the other (just like a normal scanner)?
3. Will the program stream different TGs over different feeds at the same time? ex Feed 1 is fire department and Feed 2 is law enforcement coming off the same system. If both Fire Dispatch and LEO Dispatch are active at the same time will both TGs go over their respected feeds at the same time?
Thank you for your help, I'm still new to all the SDR stuff

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
1. Yes
2. Neither. The transmissions will queue up, and eventually everything will be heard
3. Yes. You can send any talkgroup to any feed, and can send the same talkgroup to multiple feeds.

To explain #2 a little better, the behavior is not like a traditional scanner nor will all of the audio just mush together. Instead SDRTrunk will use FIFO, or first in, first out, to stream everything. SDRTrunk does not stream audio in real time like an analog input from a scanner would, but rather uses the recorded files being created, which are then injected into the traditional feed's audio stream. Think of is as all of the transmissions stacking up waiting to go out one by one.

The upside is that no transmissions will be missed on any talkgroup assigned to the feed, because they're all queued up to go out eventually.

The downside is that the transmissions will not be heard in logical order one talkgroup at a time, and if the talkgroups on the feed are busy, you'll eventually wind up with the transmissions way behind real time as they stack up waiting to go out. Example: Feed 1, both Tac 1 and Tac 2 are active at the same time. A dozen or so transmissions take place on both talkgroups within the same 60 second time period. Instead of hearing just one or the other, or hearing all of the transmissions from Tac 1, then Tac 2, in logical order...they will almost certainly be interspersed. Tac 1, Tac 1, Tac 2, Tac 1, Tac 2, Tac 2, Tac 1, and so on.

jjbllitz

Premium Subscriber
I am just running a single feed plus Broadcastify calls at this point. So not sure I have a good answer for you on #1. That will probably have to do with the horsepower of your computer.

On #2, the feed in SDRTrunk comes from a recording of the traffic on the trunk group. Once the recording is done, then it is streamed out. If there is more than one trunk group for the feed it will stream them sequentially.

They way the single stream works, I would expect that it would manage multiple streams separately but simultaneously.

drayd48

Well, thank you both for your help. I got the answers I was looking for and more. I was mainly just checking to see whether the program would support all that and make sure multiple TGs didn't play at the same time over feeds on top of each other. Now that learning it uses a recording feature to make sure no traffic is missed, I like it even better. I don't mind missing some traffic while I scan (that's just part of the game) but with learning that I like my idea even better! Thank you all.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I have one install of SDRTrunk with 1 connection to BCFY Calls + 5 traditional feeds. Some of the talkgroups are duplicated among those 5 feeds, with all of them getting sent up to Calls. Another install has 3 connections to BCFY Calls + 2 traditional feeds. SDRTrunk can basically handle whatever you throw at it, provided your PC has the horsepower to keep up. The decoding is what uses the most resources, not the streaming itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.