Using SDS-100 in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratus

I am planning to purchase SD-100 for use in Europe.

I see that one can program a lot of channels based on the location and ZIP code.

Are there any databases of frequencies that I can load (non-US I mean)?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Hi & welcome to the RR forums:
From the RR database main page, choose country here (as outlined in red). Note that not every country has identified info but that's how you can check.

Also, emergency services in most (all?) European countries are encrypted (often Tetra) which the SDS100 nor any other scanner will be able to pick up

1623759369853.png

stratus

Hi & welcome to the RR forums:
What country(ies) will you be visiting? From the RR database main page, choose country here (as outlined in red). Note that not every country has identified info but that's how you can check

View attachment 105052
Thank you so much!

Will be checking it right now.

If UK, Italy or Spain for example are listed there, it is just a matter of connecting the radio via USB cable and dowloading the info, correct?

stratus

Wow, this database is great! Thank so much!

And yes, I am new to this forum - thank you for warm welcome!

By the way, being new here I cannot contact the members who are selling their SDS-100 s in Classifieds, that is a pity, as some of the dealers I have tried are out of stock, so buying used, makes sense.

Hopefully I can receive PMs from anyone selling their SDS-100, thus getting my Uniden quicker!

sfb88

If the plan is to use it in Europe, shouldn't you consider buying an SDS 100E? I think Europe may use some different frequencies and band plans. Not blocking US cellular might be an example.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And before bringing a scanner into Europe, check with someone for rules and regulations. I wouldn't even think of bringing a scanner to a former Soviet bloc country, for example.

Mike

stratus

If the plan is to use it in Europe, shouldn't you consider buying an SDS 100E? I think Europe may use some different frequencies and band plans. Not blocking US cellular might be an example.
I did not know that an European Version existed, will look into it. But I can straight away guess that being more rare model, it will cost even more that SDS-100 (which is already quite dear).

But thank you for let me know about this option.

stratus

And before bringing a scanner into Europe, check with someone for rules and regulations. I wouldn't even think of bringing a scanner to a former Soviet bloc country, for example.

Mike
I am working on project in Moldova at the moment (yes, former Soviet bloc :D), but was able to get my amateur radio license here, so it should answer all the inquiries the authorities might have (I guess!), but one can never be sure here, true...

Ubbe

I am working on project in Moldova at the moment (yes, former Soviet bloc :D), but was able to get my amateur radio license here...
In that region it's sometimes illegal to own a radio that can receive the frequencies that military and police are using. So try to check if a scanner are allowed in Moldavia.

It's usually prefered to get a US scanner model as updates and bug fixes are more supported than for other regions. But as the SDS100 probably are the most problematic Uniden scanner ever, and that could need to be sent to US for repairs, you still might be better off with a EU purchase. People selling their scanners might be unsatisfied with them due to some issues that turns out that it needs to be repaired.

/Ubbe

stratus

In that region it's sometimes illegal to own a radio that can receive the frequencies that military and police are using. So try to check if a scanner are allowed in Moldavia.

It's usually prefered to get a US scanner model as updates and bug fixes are more supported than for other regions. But as the SDS100 probably are the most problematic Uniden scanner ever, and that could need to be sent to US for repairs, you still might be better off with a EU purchase. People selling their scanners might be unsatisfied with them due to some issues that turns out that it needs to be repaired.

/Ubbe

Thank you, that thought passed my mind when I was reading the classified, where people were selling almost new units...

Valeriy

Also, emergency services in most (all?) European countries are encrypted (often Tetra) which the SDS100 nor any other scanner will be able to pick up

Hello, Italy has not standardised radio systems.
In some regions, such as Piedmont, police corps have encrypted Tetra network with the exception of the jail-police, in other regions such as the nearby Lombardy they have analogue radio systems instead, as well as in the region Romagna.
The italian firefighters still use VHF-Low and UHF analogue channels.
Local municipality police corps have analogue radios, DMR radios, or non-encrypted civilian Tetra networks, depending on the city.
Also the italian National Health System is not standardised, because every region has its own regional health system and its own radio systems, with mix-up of analogue, DMR, civilian Tetra, and GSM systems.
In other words, depending on the italian region, it can be still possible (yet unlawful) to listen to some emergency services...

Status
Not open for further replies.