Using Sentinal Software on a SDS 100/200

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwayne0564

Programming my new SDS 200 with Sentinal Software, now when My Scanner welcome screen starts up, it says bearcat 436/536... can I manually change that, I know its Petty, but anyway. ( I did go to the tools section on the software, and made sure it was for a 200.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Programming my new SDS 200 with Sentinal Software, now when My Scanner welcome screen starts up, it says bearcat 436/536... can I manually change that, I know its Petty, but anyway. ( I did go to the tools section on the software, and made sure it was for a 200.

Open the profile editor in Sentinel, and click on the "Display Options" tab.

If by "manually" changing it, you mean through the scanner's menu system without using Sentinel..... No. It must be done using Sentinel.

Last edited:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Check to see if it will change when you select the model... under Tools select Target Model. You have 3 choices, BCDx36HP, SDS100 and SDS200.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Check to see if it will change when you select the model... under Tools select Target Model. You have 3 choices, BCDx36HP, SDS100 and SDS200.

A change of target model doesn't change the "Opening Message". You need a separate profile to assign different opening messages for different scanners.

The OP already tried that.

( I did go to the tools section on the software, and made sure it was for a 200.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
That can happen if you have a Profile created for a 436/536 and sent that to the SDS 200. Other than the irritation you mention, it isn't a problem, unless you want the Profiles behaving differently. Then it is a good red flag, though you have to watch the start-up screen to notice it.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
A change of target model doesn't change the "Opening Message". You need a separate profile to assign different opening messages for different scanners.

The OP already tried that.
Ok. I can’t get into the settings in Edit Profile to check display settings. Something is wrong with my laptop. So I suggested the possibility of changing the model under Tools. Anybody else have a problem getting to the Edit Profile feature?

dwayne0564

So other than the Annoying display, everything should work fine, but I have to set up a separate profile to have it done, well, when I have a 100/200 436, unless setting up a separate profile is easy, also wouldn't I have to have two separate programming , which means twice the work for the same programming, i think I'll just might have to live with it for a while, other than someone else figuring out a easy fix.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Setting up another profile is easy using the same programming you have for the other listed radios. Save what you’ve got first and then go at it... see what you get. If it’s not to your liking return to the origional.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you have two (or more) radios that you want to behave exactly the same way, then using the same profile is the least confusing option. I usually end up using the wrong profile when I want to make a change (I lose those 50-50 things about 90% of the time).

The opening message that displays the model number is there but two seconds when the scanner is first booted. I'm as fussy as anyone, but if that's the only problem I have to contend with, life is pretty darn good!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
So other than the Annoying display, everything should work fine, but I have to set up a separate profile to have it done, well, when I have a 100/200 436, unless setting up a separate profile is easy, also wouldn't I have to have two separate programming , which means twice the work for the same programming, i think I'll just might have to live with it for a while, other than someone else figuring out a easy fix.
You can set the opening message to anything you want, it doesn't have to include the scanner's model number. If you want to only have one profile, you can set the "opening message" to something that would be descriptive or beneficial to all of your scanners, so that you don't have to worry about the message being correct for one scanner and not the other. Lots of folks use that message to say something like......

"This scanner belongs to....."
"If found call this number....."
etc.

Not sure about the x36 scanners, but with the SDS200 / SDS100, you can also use or create a custom graphic to replace the text of the opening message altogether. The graphic file resides on the SD card for that particular scanner, and whatever is in the opening message text in Sentinel, the text won't show up when the SDS200 boots up, only the graphic will.... for the same length of time that the text would be seen on the screen.

Last edited:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
If you have two (or more) radios that you want to behave exactly the same way, then using the same profile is the least confusing option. I usually end up using the wrong profile when I want to make a change (I lose those 50-50 things about 90% of the time).

The opening message that displays the model number is there but two seconds when the scanner is first booted. I'm as fussy as anyone, but if that's the only problem I have to contend with, life is pretty darn good!
Two seconds is not bad when you consider waiting 5 minutes for your TV to warm up back in the 50’s. I was happy it came on at all! When the TV was on the fritz my Dad would tell us It needed to go into the repair shop because we watched too many westerns... all those dead cowboys and Indians clogged up the works and needed to be cleaned out of the TV!

Status
Not open for further replies.