Using the BC-SGPS kit with the BC325P scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

vince157

Hello fellow scanner & radio enthusiasts! Allow me to introduce myself, I'm Vince and I'm in the 23703 zip code of Portsmouth VA.
I'm 64 years old and have been a fan scanner listening since the days when I had to purchase crystals from my local radio supply store in Olde Towne for my Radio Shack desktop scanner. Circa 1971 maybe? Since then I've owned several scanners and enjoyed them immensely. Recently as you know PPD went digital and I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Uniden BCD325P2 scanner to use.

Where I stand right now? I programmed my scanner using the frequencies listed on the RR web site, starts with 856.xxxx and goes up from there, about 8 total maybe? After looking at some of the posts here I feel I may be missing out on a lot listening in on transmissions.
So in order to acquire more frequencies I purchased a Uniden BC-SGPS serial GPS receiver kit, new open box for a mere $40 on ebay. Well, I hooked up all modules per the instructions and when I inserted the the 12v accessory plug into the car my scanner read 'illegal voltage' hmmm. Didn't harm the scanner, whew!
Fast forward to the 352P2 spec sheet, DC5v +/-
Uniden states that this box of stuff is compatible with the 325P2 scanner but I can't see how if the input voltages are so different. Have any of you used this kit?
I can see it working on a scanner with a 120v input but I'm flummoxed as to why it can't work on the 325P2 scanner.
Let me add that there is a video on youtube where the gentleman is using this kit with a SD100 and a 325P2 sitting beside him but he never showed it connected to the 325P2 scanner. I guess that's why comments are turned off for that video(n)

Your thoughts and input would be appreciated!

IMG_0923.jpg

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
The unit does normally work fine on the 325. Use the USB cable that comes with the GPS kit, the larger box contains a voltage conversion circuit to power the 325 as well.

Remember that the GPS does not provide any type of reception improvement, all it does is provide an updated location to it. One needs to program Groups/Systems/Sites to Location Control and input the appropriate coordinates and ranges so that they turn on and off as needed.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Make sure that the power cord is powering up properly. Also make sure that the accessory port in your car actually has power. Other than that, it should be pretty straight forward.

From your picture, you have everything connected properly for the 325P2 to work with the GPS.

vince157

Good labor day morning....
First off thanks for the responses.
An observations here, If the converter (larger of the 2 modules) is suppose to step down the input voltage to 5v it's not doing it. Why would Uniden tout this GPS module kit as being compatible with the 325P2 is a mystery to me.
I've ordered a USB to 12v female adapter in the hopes that I can power the module thru my computer. I hope to be able to update status later this afternoon. Stay tuned!

N9JIG

Sheriff
The GPS kit works fine with both of my BCD325P2's. I know of many others for which this is true as well. I have to think there is something wrong on your end, either your particular unit is defective or connected incorrectly.

Please be careful that you do not damage your radio or GPS unit by applying incorrect voltages. The large box needs to be powered by 12VDC thru the included cigar lighter adapter, this in turn provides 5VDC to the radio via the USB cable. Do not try to power the adapter box via a USB adapter.

If you have a voltmeter see that you have about 5VDC between pins 1 and 4 of the USB cable going into your radio. If you have another 325 or an SDS100 (which uses the same cable and power layout with the S-GPS) check with that to see if perhaps your radio is defective.

Also, check to see if the batteries are bad, remove them and see if the radio powers up with either the USB cable from the GPS kit or the regular USB cable that comes with the radio.

Make sure you have the connection guidelines from this post: Uniden Universal GPS Kit

Be sure your radio is connected properly, this doc will demonstrate the proper connections.

vince157

Thanks N9JIG.
I did purchase the scanner used on ebay so I'm not aware of the full history of it. Same with the kit, 'open box' but not from the same seller. Previous owner(s) could have killed the functionality of either and did not know or knew and did not disclose.
All cables are connected correctly using the your guide and the instructions with the kit. I removed the batteries and connected the USB cable and the radio powered up fine. My voltmeter probes are a bit big to fit into the cable end that plugs into the scanner but the scanner does power up with the cable without the batteries. Where is that 'scratches head' emoji!

vince157

The GPS kit works fine with both of my BCD325P2's. I know of many others for which this is true as well. I have to think there is something wrong on your end, either your particular unit is defective or connected incorrectly.

Please be careful that you do not damage your radio or GPS unit by applying incorrect voltages. The large box needs to be powered by 12VDC thru the included cigar lighter adapter, this in turn provides 5VDC to the radio via the USB cable. Do not try to power the adapter box via a USB adapter.

If you have a voltmeter see that you have about 5VDC between pins 1 and 4 of the USB cable going into your radio. If you have another 325 or an SDS100 (which uses the same cable and power layout with the S-GPS) check with that to see if perhaps your radio is defective.

Also, check to see if the batteries are bad, remove them and see if the radio powers up with either the USB cable from the GPS kit or the regular USB cable that comes with the radio.

Make sure you have the connection guidelines from this post: Uniden Universal GPS Kit

Be sure your radio is connected properly, this doc will demonstrate the proper connections.

Not sure where my head was on this one. I replied that my VM probes were to big to touch the pins, then it hit me today (duh) I can probe the pins on the stepdown circuit box (not probe the cord end that plugs into the scanner)
So yes, upon your advice I probed the pins and it's stepping down to 5.97v Apparently the illegal voltage issue is with the scanner (apparently)

N9JIG

Sheriff
That would be my guess. What happens when you plug the radio's USB cable (the one that came with it) into a USB port or power supply?

vince157

Plug into USB port with supplied cord I see Start charging? yes "E" no ="
As expected yes sets it into normal charging mode or I can turn the scanner on and listen away. If I remove the batteries I can turn the scanner on and use it. I have a 5v Samsung wall charger that works to.
I contacted G&G Communications about looking at and repairing the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.