Using The Home Patrol Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

951ryan

Feed Provider
Feed: Corona Police Dispatch

This is my very first time offering a feed so I'm completely new at this so please bear with me. My entire county brought down their official feeds last month so Im the first person to bring one back live in a large county. Anyways Im using the Uniden's HomePatrol-1 and connecting via 3.5mm audio jack to my PC line in port. To me the quality seems okay, but I feel it can be better.

A) Is there anyway to broadcast the audio only via usb?

Also I see someone else mentioned...

http://forums.radioreference.com/li...niden-homepatrol-tag-support.html#post1870726

1. Line Out must be used for the audio stream.
2. Using the headphone jack for audio produces significant noise and distortion.
3. A 2.5mm to 3.5mm audio adapter is needed to connect the HP-1 to your sound card device.

B) Do you think my current quality will make a significant improvement by using the 2.5mm audio out jack on the scanner?

Thanks in advance!

951ryan

Feed Provider
One other thing I noticed (Im using the 3.5mm jack on the HP-1) is that when I plug in a power source the distortion is crazy only when nobody is talking, but when it's running on battery power the distortion goes away. Still the quality seems poor, trying to find the best way to offer a clear stream.

SevenMaryFour

One other thing I noticed (Im using the 3.5mm jack on the HP-1) is that when I plug in a power source the distortion is crazy only when nobody is talking, but when it's running on battery power the distortion goes away. Still the quality seems poor, trying to find the best way to offer a clear stream.

I'm having the exact same problem. I've tried using a ground loop isolator, using a mono audio cable, using a stereo audio cable, using the Line In port on the sound card, using the Mic port on the sound card, and connecting the HP1 power to a different power outlet than the computer. Some combinations of these options yield better results than others, but so far nothing has completely removed the hum. The only thing I haven't tried yet is using the Line Out jack on the HP itself since I don't have a 2.5mm adapter (will pick one up next pay day).

Here's my feed if anyone wants to listen: Allen, Frisco, and Plano Police / Fire

SevenMaryFour

Sorry, I just realized this thread was from August. 951ryan, your feed sounds great today--can you follow-up on how you fixed it? Is using the 2.5mm jack all it took?

Last edited:

ZodiacKilr

Feed Provider
Guys, I had the same issues with my HP1.

I spent two days and $100 trying to figure it out.

My hum was when there was no radio activity, and it went away when on battery power. I bought two different ground loop isolators, and none worked.

Plugged in a USB cable for metadata, hum went away.

I did order a 2.5mm adapter, because it seems I have some hum when the scanner is broadcasting, but it is 100% better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.