Using the RTL-SDR on an Android tablet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Looks like it can be done - see this YouTube video

And the tablet that's mentioned is here

And for those RTLs (like the v3) that cover HF, we have a few apps for digital decoding (at least in theory) Of note is TIVAR and AndFLMsg, both having been used for decoding the SW Radiogram program. See sections 4 and 5 (see the Android apps sub topic) of...

Mike

imonitorit

Is there a specific cable that can run the sdr and charge your android tablet at the same time?
I noticed they sell one with 3 connectors (USB female, mini-usb male & mini-usb female). Some posts say you cant charge your tablet while using the sdr.

morfis

Is there a specific cable that can run the sdr and charge your android tablet at the same time?
I noticed they sell one with 3 connectors (USB female, mini-usb male & mini-usb female). Some posts say you cant charge your tablet while using the sdr.

Not all 'USB' ports are standard...particularly on phones/tablets. Be VERY careful if trying these cables unless supplied by your original equipment manufacturer...at best you are likely to have wasted a few currency units, at worst you'll damage the phone/tablet

Using an rtl device on a tablet or phone isn't particularly practical due to the rapid power use (probably why most of the limited software for droids hasn't really changed in the past four or five years?).

Perhaps more practical on a modern one that can use wireless charging....but then you are back to being tethered in some way again so any advantage of the (very limited) software and pocketable devices just went down the pan ;)

Premium Subscriber
i have it working peachy on both of my Kindle Fires
and my Android phones

no issues at all

I'm looking to repurpose my daughter's Kindle Fire 8. This is interesting. How did you go about it?
I just got Google Play Store on it. Rooting seems above my pay grade.

MrThompson

I've used a Cozysmart powered USB 4K 60 Hz adapter with Samsung phones and tablets with no issues. Buy a big USB powerbank and take it mobile.

The biggest bargain in portable SDR will be the cheap proliferation of used Surface Go's as the new version becomes dominant. SDR# with a Surface Go and a pen and you are good to go. It's not fast, mine is commonly referred to as the Surface Slow but it works well with my SDRs.

Premium Subscriber
just search in the play store for RTL-SDR apps
there are several
no magic required

You are correct, no magic required.
Got the driver installed and I am currently playing with "RF Analyzer"

Status
Not open for further replies.