Using "TUNE" Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Have a 500.

When I enter a frequency manually using "TUNE", it works just fine.
e.g., if I enter 118.5, it goes to the freq., and the mode "AM" shows up correctly.

Sits on it usually for at least 5 to 10 minutes, then inexplicably the AM is replaced
by M36 which I assume means it is picking up a Motorolla 3600 baud CC from somewhere.

Happens most every time, usually within the 10 minutes or so.

Is this a correct interpretation ?

Why might it be doing this ?

Thanks,
Bob

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Could be intermod from a strong trunked signal source. Did you try pressing mode until you see AM? "au" is the auto-detect mode.

BOBRR

From OP

Hi,

Yes I did.

Still jumps out, and to M36.

Your explanation is undoubtedly correct.

Thanks,
Bob

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I get this on other freqs too. It's just a by-product of the automatic decoding and not being able to filter out false decodes of Motorola low-speed data. If it's definitely happening when in AM mode then that needs GRE's attention.

S-man

BOBRR,

I have the same issue too. I notified GRE and they responded that there is an issue. I am hoping that the CPU1.3 release address's this problem. I will know tonight when I install the new release.

skip21

Premium Subscriber
I tried 3 times to duplicate this but cannot on my 500. I let it sit for 15+ mins and AM still shows. I am using CPU1.3 but not sure if that makes a difference.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
This definitely happens regardless of mode. You can set it to AM or FM instead of Au, and inevitably stop on a signal and "jump out" of mode and into autodetect where you then get M36 and things like that when there was never an M36 signal present.

It appears that if it stops on any frequency while scanning or is stopped on any silent frequency and you have the mode set to FM and AM and then it gets a signal, it'll start acting like it's in auto mode and will be claiming types of signals are present which are not.

This has happened all along for me. I've been too lazy to write about it, but now that somebody else has posted I figured I'd chime in and say that I've seen this happen a lot.

Mike

PS: Running 1.2 firmware

skip21

Premium Subscriber
After reading mtindor's comment I tried again. I tuned a freq and then began to scan up until it found a transmission at which time I pressed PSE key. It sat there for about 7 mins and then the mode changed from AM to M36 however the audio didn't seem to change and I was able to hear further transmissions fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.