Using Uniden SDS series scanners with SLATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickgans

Premium Subscriber
Background: I used the Uniden 396XT and 996XT and 996P2 to listen to SLATER in 2015 and while I could hear more than nothing, I was unhappy with the poor quality and missed calls. I recently took a look to see if there were improved scanner and found rave reviews on the SDS line.

Current: I bought a SDS100 and while I struggled getting my arms around programming it with ARC536PRO software, I was eventually able to get it done. I am not sure my programming is totally efficient and optimal, but it works. I understand I cannot hear police in St. Louis County due to encryption, but my main interest is hearing Central County South and North. I have it programmed for much more than that, but that is my main interest.

Question/Problem: What I cannot figure out is how can directly access a specific talkgroup using the Number Tags info on Page 22 of the SDS100 Uniden manual. For example, I want to enter the FF.SS.CC to get to Fire Tac 20. I have tried many combinations of entering what I think are the right numbers and I either get "Out of Band" or "Processing" followed by "CH Number Tag 1.2.20 is not Stored". It might be because of how I have created the programming or it may be you cannot actually go directly to a talkgroup this way. I do know I have other options to access the talkgroup I want, like putting the scanner on hold and turning the dial to reach it, or entering the talkgroup number and pressing the Channel soft key. But I would like to be able to do it the way described in the manual if possible. Assistance would be appreciated. If helpful, I can send the .hpd file I am using for this.

rickgans

Premium Subscriber
I am using ARC536PRO as I used ARCXT software previously and am comfortable using it. I do have Sentinel and used it to update the firmware (it didn't actually need to be updated) and change the colors of the display.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Background: I used the Uniden 396XT and 996XT and 996P2 to listen to SLATER in 2015 and while I could hear more than nothing, I was unhappy with the poor quality and missed calls. I recently took a look to see if there were improved scanner and found rave reviews on the SDS line.

Current: I bought a SDS100 and while I struggled getting my arms around programming it with ARC536PRO software, I was eventually able to get it done. I am not sure my programming is totally efficient and optimal, but it works. I understand I cannot hear police in St. Louis County due to encryption, but my main interest is hearing Central County South and North. I have it programmed for much more than that, but that is my main interest.

Question/Problem: What I cannot figure out is how can directly access a specific talkgroup using the Number Tags info on Page 22 of the SDS100 Uniden manual. For example, I want to enter the FF.SS.CC to get to Fire Tac 20. I have tried many combinations of entering what I think are the right numbers and I either get "Out of Band" or "Processing" followed by "CH Number Tag 1.2.20 is not Stored". It might be because of how I have created the programming or it may be you cannot actually go directly to a talkgroup this way. I do know I have other options to access the talkgroup I want, like putting the scanner on hold and turning the dial to reach it, or entering the talkgroup number and pressing the Channel soft key. But I would like to be able to do it the way described in the manual if possible. Assistance would be appreciated. If helpful, I can send the .hpd file I am using for this.
Seee if this helps
(references the BCDx36HP series, but quick keys & number tags are handled the same way on the SDS series scanners)

Also in the 'Easier to Read' manual

rickgans

Premium Subscriber
hiegtx, Thank you very much. That did the trick. I used the first link you provided and the "aha" moment hit me when I carefully read through the article and discovered I was mixing up quick keys with number tags. Now I am going to revisit my programming to set up the number tags as I want and that will give me all I need. It also tells me the way I set up my scanner was not the cause of the failure to directly access channels/talkgroups and I will stay with that as well. I cannot say enough good things about the help I quickly got from this forum AND the way the SDS series scanners work. I had given up on using scanners based on the earlier generation of Uniden APCO25 scanners (396, 996, 436, 536), but the SDS works just like scanners used to work, only better with the advent of trunking and the ability to hear far calls the same as near calls. These are expensive but they are a game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.