Using WIN500 to program - Have a question on labels

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmaxim

I'm on step 6 of the UtahRadio WIN500 programming guide (http://utahradio.org/mediawiki/index.php/WIN500) while trying to program my PRS-500 scanner...

Import_TGs_15.jpg

My question is what exactly is the system tag? Is this a friendly name that I pick out and label so I know what this set of imported frequencies and talkgroups is or should I leave it as "System" and simply continue on following the instructions?

qlajlu

Silent Key
Enter a unique name in that box so that when you start scanning you will know which system the scanner is on. This helps tremendously if you have several systems loaded, which is not unusual in many areas of the country. If you do not choose to enter a name, the program will simply say, "System." Kinda non-informational, eh?

michaelmaxim

Ah I see. So I'll label it as "PW Fire/Police" since that's the first one that I'm doing. Then for the Target Scan List and Talkgroup ID's right under the System Tag box.... Is this for assigning them to a scan list of choice or are there pre-defined ones that I shouldn't use/overwrite? I see it has one that says "Favorites" so I wasn't sure if I should assign it to TG 01 or pick another...

Thanks for the help qlajlu!

This app is super user friendly too.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Ah I see. So I'll label it as "PW Fire/Police" since that's the first one that I'm doing. Then for the Target Scan List and Talkgroup ID's right under the System Tag box.... Is this for assigning them to a scan list of choice or are there pre-defined ones that I shouldn't use/overwrite? I see it has one that says "Favorites" so I wasn't sure if I should assign it to TG 01 or pick another...

Thanks for the help qlajlu!

This app is super user friendly too.

Your first system should go to Scan List 1, although that is not carved in granite or required. For someone getting used to the whole process it is like baby steps. After you get into it you will see how you can move TGs into other Scan Lists or make them members of more than one Scan List. I use my Favorites List for those TGs that have the most significance to me in my scanning. In my area, all the LEOs use a certain TG when they are involved in a pursuit and that is one of the ones in my Favorites list.

Once you get familiar with the software and the Object Oriented Scanning way of doing things, your imagination will be your limit.

michaelmaxim

Well I'm and running. Since I'm at work in Alexandria I also added the Alexandria City Fire/EMS and Police and I'm listening to the police bands right now. That was almost too easy. This site has really helped me out and the import process using WIN500 couldn't have been any easier. I was lost in the sauce last night trying to figure out how to manually program my Pro-164... Glad I got this new PRS-500. Thanks to all who answered my questions.

I'm sure I'll have more as I go along.

Status
Not open for further replies.