Using Wireless Headphones With Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC2001

Jesse
So the other day I saw a set of wireless headphones that were technically for TVs and stuff like that.

That got me thinking about the possibility of using them with a scanner. I would assume that you couldn't because scanners don't, to my knowledge, have bluetooth capabilities. But I am hoping someone out there has a work around of some kind to where you could use headphones while walking around in the house without turning the scanner up all the way, and disturbing the folks in my house/my neighbors.

Thanks in advance for any idea, tips, etc.

gdaykoloa

Premium Subscriber
I use the 12 South AirFly Pro with my Apple AirPod Pros and it works brilliantly well.

WB9YBM

I assume an FM transmitter wouldn't work? Or is that basically the same thing?

FM transmitters are different; I was about to suggest that myself. I think Radio Shack used to (and may still?) sell stereo transmitters folks could plug into portable CD players and transmit to their car stereo (before car stereos had CD players in them).

wowologist

Certifiable
Ya I used FM xmitters for easily 30+ ...years in my truck - never had an external speaker for any of my mobile scanners. Sending the audio to the mounted stereo allowed for greater audio control with the EQ from the stereo as well as in my opinion clearer audio with much better speakers.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
My '16 Sorento sound system. has an "AUX" input. It uses a 3.5 mm plug. I simply use a 2' mini to mini cord. I used it for the 436 and SDS100. I now have an SDS200 but I haven't installed it yet.

wowologist

Certifiable
My '16 Sorento sound system. has an "AUX" input. It uses a 3.5 mm plug. I simply use a 2' mini to mini cord. I used it for the 436 and SDS100. I now have an SDS200 but I haven't installed it yet.

Yeop that's another option. Back in the day though most in dash units didn't have an AUX in (that wasn't in the (RCA) back or an amp input) let alone Bluetooth. Now Bluetooth aftermarket decks (200w) are like 16.99 on scambay. Another item we can thank the Peoples Republic of China for acquiring (stealing) the plans for and instead of paying a name brand 500$ for a deck, you get one for under 20$ that do what ther purposed for.

kb2hpw

Premium Subscriber
I bought an FM transmitter like this a few years ago for my use around home:
1/2 W is more than enough power to cover anywhere in the house, garage, yard, etc. I patch in the audio from my BCD996P2 and I can hear it anywhere on my property. I have an AM/FM ear protector headset for when I mow the lawn. I picked up a clock radio for $5 at a garage sale, I put that in the garage for listening. I have various FM radios for portable use with earbuds. I found this to work great for listening to a fixed scanner, anywhere I want.

lu81fitter

I bought an FM transmitter like this a few years ago for my use around home:
1/2 W is more than enough power to cover anywhere in the house, garage, yard, etc. I patch in the audio from my BCD996P2 and I can hear it anywhere on my property. I have an AM/FM ear protector headset for when I mow the lawn. I picked up a clock radio for $5 at a garage sale, I put that in the garage for listening. I have various FM radios for portable use with earbuds. I found this to work great for listening to a fixed scanner, anywhere I want.

I have the exact radio with nearly the same FM transmitter. The 1/2 watt gets me for about 2 blocks around my house. They work great! My neighbor says she listens from time to time.

As far as Bluetooth, I'm not sure. I bet it would work as long as you don't go too far.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have an Aftershokz headset that uses bone conduction. When yoiu need to be aware of your surroundings and want to listen at the same time, they are a great way to do both at the same time.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I also use some older 900 MHz ISM band sets of wireless speakers and/or headphones. I have models made by both Sony and RCA and they both work rather well.
They use a true FM Broadcast wideband (100 kHz I think) signal in stereo and are on one of a small handful of fixed frequencies the FCC allows in the 902-928 MHz ISM band. Most signals there must be of the FHSS type.
They all have three selectable frequencies available per transmitter so you can have more than one from the same manufacturer. The RCA and the Sony units I have use a different set of three frequencies so all three channels are available for each manufacturer without interfering with the other manufacturers model.
The transmitter turns off after a set period of no audio input signal per FCC rules as well. They take a standard fixed line level audio input signal but will also work with variable level signals as long as the signal is kept hot enough so the auto off feature does not kick in.
This could be an issue for scanner use with seldom used channels on the scanner side of things but it can be defeated with a simple modification that I'm certain is not really legal to make.

I'm not certain if these things are still made and sold today or not. I always thought they have much better audio over any bluetooth device but that's probably not much of a concern for simple low bandwidth scanner audio.
Being stereo (like bluetooth), they can send audio from two scanners into the left and right channels at the same time. Some offer a balance control which can function as a left and right volume control while others have independent left and right volume controls.

Naturally they will require power much greater than something made for Bluetooth so that would be an issue for portable use.
Mine all have rechargeable NiMH batteries in the headset for the headphone models. The speaker models can run from sets of C sized batteries installed in each wireless speaker but are really intended to be powered from AC power. Some of the speaker models have decent audio amps in them so I can't imagine a set of C cell batteries would last long!

majoco

Stirrer
I have the exact radio with nearly the same FM transmitter. The 1/2 watt gets me for about 2 blocks around my house.
A 1/2 watt FM band transmitter close to your antennas should just about wipe out any scanner reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.