Using Yaesu 6X-R with channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepiddler

I bought a Yaesu 6X-R radio. I think I've bought a radio that is beyond my needs.

When I go paragliding or fishing, people want me to to put the radio on channel 1 or whatever.

I can't figure out how to do this. I looked at a maritime channel frequency chart which says:
Channel: 01
Ship transmit: 156.050
Ship receive:156.650

So my question is as a total beginner, can I use the radio to simply communicate with others on channels? How do I go about programming the channels in? What about the different transmit/receive frequency?

I appreciate any help. I should have bought a simplified radio.

k6cpo

I'm guessing those people are using FRS (Family Radio Service) radios. Your Yaesu is probably capable of receiving those channels, but will not transmit on them because it's for a completely different service. It's designed for the amateur service. If you don't have an amateur license, you can't transmit on any of the frequencies the radio is capable of anyway...

thepiddler

I'm still confused what this radio is for.

I did do a mod that supposedly allows transmission.

Quote after doing the mod sequence: "The radio will now transmit from 137 - 174, 222 - 230, and 420 - 469."

I tested it today. It received fine but didn't transmit anything. At least the other radio didn't receive on channel 01.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Yaesu VX-6R is designed for the amateur radio bands. Using it to transmit on FRS, GMRS, or "business band" frequencies in the United States requires a radio that is certified by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission to transmit on those frequencies. Transmitting with a non-type certified radio on those frequencies is a violation of federal law. Just because a radio can be modified to transmit on those frequencies doesn't make it legal to transmit on those frequencies with that radio.

Without knowing what "channel 01" is programmed for on the other radio, there's no way for us to know how your VX-6R should be configured. And, again, if "channel 01" is not in the amateur radio bands, it would still be illegal for you to use that radio to transmit there. If "channel 01" is in the amateur radio bands, you need an amateur radio license in order to transmit there.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Not all versions of the VX6 will respond the same. Version meaning US or non-US and possibly internal PCB changes that are user transparent. Google search and you will see what I mean. Sometime the mod works and others it does not.

FSR radio if that is what they are using much better choice.

snip...
I did do a mod that supposedly allows transmission.
snip...

WB4CS

This is another great example of researching what you need BEFORE you make a purchase.

The radio you have is for use in the Amateur Radio bands. You'll need (and the other people you're talking to) will each need an FCC Amateur Radio license to use that radio for transmitting. Amateur Radio is a communications hobby, but it is licensed by the FCC and it's rules are enforced at the Federal level. Not a place to be transmitting without a license unless you've got a few thousand dollars in the bank to pay FCC fines.

As other's have pointed out, you've purchased the wrong radio for the job. As has also been pointed out, even though the radio will transmit where you need it to go, it's still not legal to use a modified ham radio for such uses.

"Channel 1" is a generic term. Some radio services such as GMRS, FRS, CB, MURS, and Marine Radio have a specific frequency assigned to a specific channel. Other radio services can program any frequency they use as "Channel 1."

So the first thing you need to do is figure out what "Channel 1" is. I doubt very seriously that it's Marine channel 1. Side note about using Marine channels: Be careful to use the correct frequency. The Coast Guard doesn't like it when you use an emergency or hailing channel for chit-chat.

Once you figure out what radio service "Channel 1" is (FRS? Marine? CB?) then you need to purchase a radio that is made for that particular radio service. If it's FRS Channel 1, get a FRS radio. If it's Marine, buy a Marine radio. Etc.

For a beginner like yourself, there's much more involved than just punching in a frequency and transmitting. You need to know what is the legal maximum power output? What mode does it use (AM? FM? FMN?) And of course, the radio must be FCC certified for the frequency you're using.

So my question is as a total beginner, can I use the radio to simply communicate with others on channels?

Answer: NO. I'd suggest returning the radio if you can - but now that you've opened it up and modified it you probably won't get a refund. You might could sell it to an amateur radio operator to use. Take the money you get from the sell and buy the right kind of radio.

If you find out what "Channel 1" is, let us know and maybe we can assist you in finding the correct radio.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Piddler, as others have said, you bought a radio for the Amateur radio service.
It would be illegal to use it for Marine channels, frs or any other bands for which it's not intended. However, it IS capable of being used on those bands ... but that's another story. :cool:

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.