USNA 380Mhz site

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Looking for some help on this -- the USNA 380Mhz site.... anyone else following it?

The last few days, my PSR-500 has been going nuts with seemingly continous new encrypted private calls... most look normal 102xxx etc. but others are really odd large numbers. Not sure why all of the sudden all of these PCs are there.

I had the 4 CC freqs programmed from RR (386.3125, 386.5875, 388.0250, 388.3875).

I decided to look and see what my BC-396 can hear and if it's picking up the same PCs --

First thing I notice is that the 396 locked into the 386.5875 CC and so far, it isn't picking up ANY PCs. The only activity seems to be the police TG (22512).

In the mean time, I've reduced the CC freqs on my PSR-500 to just the currently active 386.5875 but now the PSR-500 doesn't seem to be locking in at all (but the BC-396 is).

But wait there's more (now) - the 386.5875 just dropped out on the 396 too.... now it's back... gone again...

What's going on here?

troymail

Silent Key
freqhopping said:
Have you programmed 700000 into the 396? If not you won't receive the I-calls.

interestingly, no. Thanks for reminding me.

However, I am still a bit baffled as to why (a) the reception I'm suddenly getting is so weak on my PSR-500 and (b) where all the encrypted I-Calls came from "all of the sudden"...

I suppose it could just be more new activity on the system or the reception pattern has changed.... not really sure.

I've put 700000 in my 396 and I'm listening now - side by side with my PSR-500 to see what gives...

Again , the question really is - is anyone else listening to this system and are you picking up all these encrypted I-Calls too?

UPDATE: I just realized - I run almost exclusively in SEARCH mode with I-Calls "On" with my 396 so putting the 700000 in really wasn't necessary....

Also - I'm now watching both and I'm getting these encrypted I-Calls on my PSR-500 but not a peep out of my 396...

Last edited:

freqhopping

Is the reception on the 396 weak too?

My 396 doesn't receive I-calls unless I enter 700000 and have it set to 'On'.

In my experience reception of all of these 380mhz systems varies from day to day. I think it's just the nature of the band. A few weeks back I was able to receive USNA site which I don't normally receive at all. Lately I've been able to receive Ft Meade on a regular basis. Ft Belvoir is one of the closer sites and it varies from 1 to 5 bars. Last week 010-0303 was on a different control channel and was much weaker than usual.

If you run the system through UniTrunker you could see if the I-call IDs are the same as the radios on the PD channel.

baydog

When I get a chance I'll set up the system on both my BC 396 and PSR 500 and report in.
Did you upload the set up from the RR database?
I'm near the headwaters of the Severn River.

David

troymail

Silent Key
freqhopping said:
Is the reception on the 396 weak too?
It's weak but police come in most times. Both radios show the CC dropping out on occasion.

freqhopping said:
I My 396 doesn't receive I-calls unless I enter 700000 and have it set to 'On'.
Do you run in SCAN or SEARCH mode? I'm prettu sure that if you run in SEARCH mode (which I do) and your have I-Calls enabled for the system, I-Calls appears just like any other talkgroup and it's required to be programmed in any way on the 396.

freqhopping said:
I In my experience reception of all of these 380mhz systems varies from day to day. I think it's just the nature of the band. A few weeks back I was able to receive USNA site which I don't normally receive at all. Lately I've been able to receive Ft Meade on a regular basis. Ft Belvoir is one of the closer sites and it varies from 1 to 5 bars. Last week 010-0303 was on a different control channel and was much weaker than usual.
You're probably right but the Ft Meade system (which I'm pretty close to) is always really strong. I've always had a problem with "dead spots" or some type of intereference within my house for some systems. In fact, I was watching the CC dump output from my PSR-500 last night and the [T] on the display was out most of the time and CCDump was showing nearly constant CRC errors for the data. However, if I took the radio and moved it from my right side to the left, elevated it slightly (2-3 feet), and held it flat vs. upright like it normally is, the CC started soming in rock solid.

The real thing is the strange and sudden appearance of these I-Calls... which still have not materialized on my 396.

If you run the system through UniTrunker you could see if the I-call IDs are the same as the radios on the PD channel.[/quote]

baydog

This morning I heard USNA engine 463 on TG 22520 doing a test count.
Everything else has been police on TG 22512.

David

freqhopping

Ducting is really good right now. So good UniTrunker was just tracking this site at 20%. Just logged two PD units, however the channels it's logging- 854.1625, 854.3 cc, 855.0187, 855.2 :confused:

baydog

Lots of USNA traffic on TG 22512 this evening. Its to be expected given that end of Plebe Summer and Commissioning Week events are starting up The monument climb was today.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I was listening to USNA VHF during the Herdon Climb. MSP were called to transport fallen Mids on two occasions.

CA
Annapolis

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Unitrunker and USNA 380

Has anyone got this to work? I am trying to use my BC785 to anaylize the system, but I don't seem to be getting a steady/consistant flow of data like I do when I monitor AACo using the same setup. Sometimes I get just a few lines of data; other times I get 10 or more lines of data. I'm wondering if it's the radios fault because it cannot tune the the exact control channel frequency - although the signal strength is good. Thoughts?

CA
Annapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.